LL-L "Evolution" 2010.08.15 (09) [EN]

Mon Aug 16 00:49:14 UTC 2010

*L O W L A N D S - L - 15 August 2010 - Volume 09
*lowlands.list at gmail.com - http://lowlands-l.net/
Posting: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Hellinckx Luc <luc.hellinckx at gmail.com>

Subject: LL-L "Resources"

Beste Roger,

You wrote:

In a tabel companring vocabulary between English, Danish, German, Dutch,
Swedish and Islandic.

the English "tomorrow" is translated as "morgen" in German but "temorgen" in
Dutch.

I never heard "temorgen" for "tomorrow".

Me neither...but...,"temorgen" does have the meaning "this morning", in my
native dialect:

'k Zèn temereged nàà de mèt gewést = Ik ben te morgend naar de markt geweest
= Ik ben van de morgen... = Ik ben deze morgen ...

Kind greetings,

Luc Hellinckx, Halle, Belgium

----------

From: Henry Pijffers <henry.pijffers at gmail.com>

Subject: LL-L "Resources" 2010.08.15 (06) [EN]

Marcus Buck skreev:

> That's a 'terminus ante quem' (limit before which) not a real dating,
isn't
> it? I would guess that language is much older than that although the
> development most likely was continuous and any "X years ago was the time
> language became sophisticated" is rather arbitrary.

I've read a theory once that technological development and language go
hand in hand. If one human being discovers a new technology, he won't
be able to teach it to other humans without the aid of language. That
would mean homo habilis (the first homo to use stone tools) would have
used language already, which would the date to 1.5 Mya. Of course one
can always debate on how big their language capabilities were. And
then there are the great apes, that have shown certain language
capabilities.

> Another string of thought:
> If Homo sapiens had the brains 150,000 years ago why did it take him so
long
> to develop extensive knowledge and why was the development so rapid in the
> most recent period?

I would think 6 billion brains tend to develop things faster than a
couple thousands could. Besides that, most developments are based on
previous developments. The more we figure out, the more combinations
we can make and the faster it goes.

> why didn't
> we develop any relevant civilization before 10,000 BP? It clearly was some
> kind of social evolution that lead to modern civilization.

Maybe there was, but we just can't find the traces anymore (ok,
unlikely). Maybe there was plenty room to go around and so there just
was no need to develop social structures.

> It's notable that the arms race of technology, the begin of agriculture
and
> the end of the ice age coincide. But I do not see the connection. The end
of
> the ice age is a very important event with far-reaching consequences
> world-wide, but agriculture should have been possible even before. The
> agriculturally interesting areas were just in different regions. So how
did
> the end of the ice age trigger the development of agriculture?

Recent insights say that it may have started 20,000 years ago already.
But here's one theory:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Younger_Dryas#The_Younger_Dryas_and_the_beginning_of_agriculture

(Btw, technically we are currently in an ice age, because the earth
currently has ice caps. What people commonly call an ice age, is
actually a glacial (where the ice caps advance). We are currently
living in an interglacial, in which the ice caps retreat.)

good gaon,
Henry Pijffers