LL-L "Grammar" 2010.08.15 (08) [EN]

Mon Aug 16 00:39:17 UTC 2010

*L O W L A N D S - L - 15 August 2010 - Volume 08
*lowlands.list at gmail.com - http://lowlands-l.net/
Posting: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Elsie Zinsser <ezinsser at mweb.co.za>

Subject: LL-L "Grammar" 2010.08.14 (02) [EN]

Hi all,

Hendrik, I suspect ‘voor’ means here “in front of” unless it meant to be
“vir”

meaning “for”.

Elsie Zinsser

>>From: Henry Pijffers <henry.pijffers at gmail.com>

Subject: LL-L South African connection?

Hi LL-Lers, and Afrikaners in particular,

I was looking at someone's web profile, and as caption for a picture, she
had put: "mijn dochters aan het werk op school voor nieuwe speeltoestellen
te bemachtigen". Now, this construction with "voor" is incorrect in Dutch.
However, it struck me as Afrikaans. Would a construction like that with
"voor" be allowed in Afrikaans? Or not?

good gaon,
Hendrik van den Draod

----------

From: Henry Pijffers <henry.pijffers at gmail.com>

Subject: LL-L "Grammar" 2010.08.15 (01) [EN]

Cliff Smuts skreev:

> My dochters aan het werk om een school met nuwe speeltoestellen te
> bemachtigen" - My daughters at work making new playing equipment to
empower
> a school.'

and Mark Dreyer skreev:

> 'My dogter op skool is besig om nuwe bemagtingsspeeltoestelle te ontwerp.'

Interesting how you both interpret "bemachtigen", but it just means
"verkrijgen", "obtain".

but then Luc Hellinckx skreev:

> In Brabantish this sentence does make sense: My daughters at work in
school,
> trying to obtain new toys. Brabantish (just like French "pour") never uses
> "om" when a certain goal is expressed. Example:

I think that explains it. The person who wrote it lives in Den Bosch
('s Hertogenbosch), which is in the Dutch part of Brabant. Now that
you mention it, I think my Brabantish ex-mother-in-law used the same
construction occasionally. I should've known.

good gaon,
Henry Pijffers

listserv at listserv.linguistlist.org or lowlands.list at gmail.com
http://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo#!/group.php?gid=118916521473498<http://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo#%21/group.php?gid=118916521473498>