LL-L "Evolution" 2010.08.18 (02) [EN]

Wed Aug 18 20:46:06 UTC 2010

*L O W L A N D S - L - 18 August 2010 - Volume 02*

Posting: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Sandy Fleming <sandy at fleimin.demon.co.uk>

Subject: LL-L "Evolution" 2010.08.17 (05) [EN]

> From: Mike Morgan <mwmbombay at gmail.com>
> Subject: Mike Morgan <mwmbombay at gmail.com>
>
> I think a misunderstanding has crept unawares into the discussion of
> language origins and sign language
>
> Although there seems to be little question that some great apes have
> acquired a certain degree of faculty with sign VOCABULARY (exactly
> what degree is maybe still in question), I am fairly certain that they
> have NEVER been shown to possess sign LANGUAGE.

Yes, of course. The only sentence I've ever seen an ape make was a young
bonobo in a documentary who signed with British signs, "doll in cup".
This was the only example offered in an hour-long documentary. The
bonobo was playing with a doll and a cup at the time, and the signs were
clear enough for it to be quite startling if you know the language. But
thinking about it afterwards you realise that the signs aren't in BSL
order and the sentence makes no sense as the doll wouldn't have fit in
the cup.

The ape was very young and the researches assumed that her progress
would continue as it had begun, so what happened after that, I wonder?
But researchers back then were very keen to put forward the idea that
apes had language, I think, even if it meant pretending they had more
evidence than they did.

I also wonder about claims of apes being able to understand English
sentences. Researchers obviously have to spend a long time with the apes
and it must be very difficult to remain impartial... and then you think
of your friends who insist that their dog or cat "understands every word
they say" (but not "sit", apparently :)

> ALL that said, I have no doubt that the acquisition of language by
> mankind involved both vocal speech and manual signs developing
> equally ... and taught exactly that when I was at Addis Ababa U,with
> ድንቅ ነሽ aka Lucy (or a reasonable facsimile) lying peacefully just down
> the road a block.

Expressing a strong opinion or being near an appropriate object doesn't
lend credence to a scientific theory.

Heather originally said that the Fox P2 gene originally resulted in fine
finger control, and fine control of areas like the mouth came later.
This suggests that they didn't develop equally.

Sandy Fleming
http://scotstext.org/