LL-L "Evolution" 2010.08.19 (01) [EN]

Thu Aug 19 14:47:40 UTC 2010

*L O W L A N D S - L - 19 August 2010 - Volume 01
*lowlands.list at gmail.com - http://lowlands-l.net/
Posting: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Mike Morgan <mwmbombay at gmail.com>

Subject: LL-L "Evolution" 2010.08.18 (02) [EN]

>>  ... and taught exactly that when I was at Addis Ababa U,with
>> ድንቅ ነሽ aka Lucy (or a reasonable facsimile) lying peacefully just down
>> the road a block.

Sandy opined:

> Expressing a strong opinion or being near an appropriate object doesn't
> lend credence to a scientific theory.

indeed it doesn't ... and wasn't intended to really ... sorry if it came off
that way ... opinions stand or fall based on how believable they are, in
light of, including other things, the evidence .... and plausibility of
conjecture

Unfortunately, for language acquisition (prehistorically in humans) there is
rather little direct hard evidence and lots of conjecture ... and I admit
that I am willing to accept the conjectured role of gesture (and, on the
basis of rather less evidence, sign language) in the origin of human
language as much because of my personal involvement with sign language as
with the facts of integrated neuromotor control of mouth and fingers ... but
I remain sceptical of reports of ape "language" ... which, it seems, are
more in the eye of the beholder than in the generally unpublished raw
data...

         U C > || Mike Morgan
==========================
                 linguist

    soon to be @ IGNOU-UCLan

Applied Sign Linguistics Programme

            New Delhi, India

----------

From: clarkedavid8 at aol.com

Global warming is not the problem - global cooling is. The geological
consensus seems to be that any man-made global warming will only delay the
inevitable return of the ice for a thousand years or so. It is misleading to
say "When the ice age ended" in relation to the current ice age, because it
has not yet ended. You could say "When the last cold period ended" or "At
the start of the current interstatial". When the current ice age finally
does come to an end some time in the indefinite future, the climate will get
warmer, lilke in the Eocene, for example. but we will quite likely already
be extinct or have changed into something new and strange by then.

David Clarke