LL-L "Evolution" 2010.08.19 (02) [EN]

Thu Aug 19 22:51:30 UTC 2010

*L O W L A N D S - L - 19 August 2010 - Volume 02
*lowlands.list at gmail.com - http://lowlands-l.net/
Posting: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Brooks, Mark <mark.brooks at twc.state.tx.us>

Subject: LL-L "Evolution" 2010.08.18 (02) [EN]

Hola Paises Bajeros (?):

On a related note to evolution and sign language. Here in the USA some
parents of very young children teach them a rudimentary form of sign
language before they have the ability to talk. I believe that day care
centers initiated this idea. Kids make a sign for “more” “thank you”
“hungry”, etc. They don’t continue it for very long, and make no effort for
them to really learn ASL. They use it as a way to facilitate what a child
wants before he or she can pronounce the words.

I recently talked with a friend who has an 18-month old son. She said she
decided not to teach him the rudiments of sign language, because she heard
that it “delays language development.” I put that in quotes, because she
said it that way. I didn’t ask her for details. But, I wonder whether
learning sign language really delays language development. I would suspect
that it enhances it instead by letting a child express itself (however
rudimentarily) earlier. I think what she meant is that it delays speech,
because a child doesn’t need speech when the signs will do. However, I’ve
never seen an “expert” say that. I’ve only heard parents say so anecdotally.

What do y’all know or think about that.

Mark Brooks

listserv at listserv.linguistlist.org or lowlands.list at gmail.com
http://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo#!/group.php?gid=118916521473498<http://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo#%21/group.php?gid=118916521473498>