LL-L "Evolution" 2010.08.19 (02) [EN]

Fri Aug 20 02:19:36 UTC 2010

*L O W L A N D S - L - 19 August 2010 - Volume 03
*lowlands.list at gmail.com - http://lowlands-l.net/
Posting: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Kirsteen Wilkes <kirsteen.wilkes at hotmail.co.uk>

Subject: LL-L "Evolution" 2010.08.19 (02) [EN]

As a parent of young children I have had a wee bit of experience of this -
both through my own children and elsewhere. This whole concept has been a
relatively new one (outside of the Speech & Language Therapist professions)
in the UK. I have a friend who is closely involved in this industry and has
used sign language (in the UK Makaton which is a simplified version of BSL)
extensively with young children and childcare environments (see
www.signingbabies.co.uk). It also has a useful function in enabling young
children from non-English speaking backgrounds to communicate easily and
quickly whilst learning English.

Unfortunately a lot of the developments in this area came onto the scene too
late for the one of my 3 children who would most have benefited - but he
still used signs and gestures at an early age to make himself understood.

To anyone who might worry that the use of hand signs and gestures would
delay speech rather than enhance it - I would highlight the experience I had
with my first (and highly articulate) child, when he learnt at the age of 10
months to wave. I am pretty sure this is the case for the vast majority of
children but it's always most exciting with the first! The joy and pleasure
he got when at the age of 10 months when he learnt the phrase "wave bye-bye"
and realised that to do so on leaving someone or also meeting them would
elicit a positive response from others around him was exciting to watch.
With waving this of course is far greater than with any other sign as it is
a universally (in this culture) understood gesture meaning "Hallo" or
"Good-bye" and produces a reaction from total strangers when your sitting in
your buggy!

Having some degree of sign language/gesture system within a family is also
useful at a later date for communicating silently over a large distance or
where it is required to keep noise levels down.

If anyone is interested in learning more from the above website - it may
interest some readers of this site to know that the person behind this
business is in fact German and would also be more than happy to handle
queries in her native language!

Kirsteen Wilkes

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>

Subject: Evolution

Dear Kirsteen,

Congratulations on your first Lowlands-L posting, and welcome to the
speakers corner! I am delighted to see you here.

Seattle, USA

listserv at listserv.linguistlist.org or lowlands.list at gmail.com
http://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo#!/group.php?gid=118916521473498<http://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo#%21/group.php?gid=118916521473498>