LL-L "Language politics" 2010.12.02 (01) [EN]

Thu Dec 2 20:52:00 UTC 2010

L O W L A N D S - L - 02 December 2010 - Volume 04
Posting: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Mike Morgan <mwmbombay at gmail.com>

Subject: LL-L "Language politics" 2010.12.01 (04) [AF-EN]

Goeie naand!

Elsie (<ezinsser at mweb.co.za>) het gevra:

I like to sit and watch to improve my limited knowledge (had a few youth
friends who signed) and often wonder about how similar (or not) SA sign
language was compared to, say, Indian or US sign language?

Well, I would say I could follow maybe half of what was said on TV (and much
more than half in my few person-to-person encounters with SASL... natural,
given that Deaf are good at adjusting to non-native signers and negotiating
meaning, etc). And I would say that the DTV (deaf signers) were easier to
follow than the hearing sign language interpreters on the newscasts (though
the ones on eTV seemed to be a bit more American Sign Language influenced).

As for what sort of language SASL is, I quote Helen Morgan (no relation!):
*"Since there is little historical evidence, it is presumed that South
African Sign Language has a mixture of the Irish influence from the
Dominican Irish nuns, and British influence as well as the American
influence..."* (Morgans, Helen (1999), *Where did South African Sign
Language Originate?* <http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/10228199908566144>, Language
Matters, *30*, South Africa: Routledge Informa Ltd, pp. 53--58)

And "presumed" is the operative word...

Note that BOTH American and Irish SL had at their beginnings a heavy input
from french SL, whereas British SL is "completely" different ... and Indian
Sign language is even more completely different still!

              mwm || U C > || Mike  (aka Dr Michael W Morgan)

soon @ IGNOU-UCLan New Delhi, India, Allah, YHWH & Ganesh willing
     *Sadang kayu di rimbo tak samo tinggi, kok kunun manusia.*