LL-L "Grammar" 2010.12.15 (01) [EN]

Wed Dec 15 18:21:01 UTC 2010

L O W L A N D S - L - 15 December 2010 - Volume 01
Posting: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Theo Homan <theohoman at yahoo.com>

Subject: LL-L "Grammar" 2010.12.14 (02) [EN]

Perhaps it goes back to an attempt at avoiding “splitting verbs.” But it is
also used with simple verbs.

Perhaps its use in interrogative constructions is old enough that the Saxon
settlers in Britain took it over with them.

Seattle, USA

Hi,

Or perhaps it has to do with Celtic.

vr.gr.
Theo Homan

----------

From: M.-L. Lessing <marless at gmx.de>

Dear Jacqueline,

the use of "doon" is really a bit special. Of course we use it in the sense
of "stecken" orr "setzen, stellen, legen": "Do dat mal op den Disch!" "Do
dat in't Schapp!" But I would use it in this sense in High German too: "Tu
das in den Schrank!" This is not the special Platt use. In Platt we use it
when we want to emphasize something: "I do doch keen Kinner nich slaan!"
(here also with double negation) orr "Solang du di ni benehmen deist, snack
ik nich mit di!" But also when something is done slowly and with
consideration: "Bilütten dä se ehr Stebel uttrecken." I think it is also
used when a slightly different expression would contain "kann": "Ik kann/do
dat nich verstahn" (can be emphasized another time: "Ik kann un kann dat
nich verstahn", "He deit un deit dat nich henkriegen").

But in fact it is nearly impossible for me to explain when a Platt speaker
feels drawn to use this construction. When I wrote the mail you quote, I
unconsciously felt that saying "Wenn ik dat rechterhand baven ingeev" would
be half an Hochdeutschizismus and not really Platt. The use of "doon" is
something like indulging in the main verb, like a bird flying another circle
above his prey before it grips or like a cat playing with it :-) Ik höp, dat
du dat verstahn deist :-)

Hartlich

Marlou / Hamborg

From: "Jacqueline Bungenberg de Jong" <Dutchmatters at comcast.net>

Subject: LL-L "Language varieties" 2010.12.13 (01) [EN-NDS]

Dear Lowlanders,

In a conversation on this blog between Marlou Lessing and Marcus Buck,
Marlou uses the expression “Wenn ik dat rechterhand baven ingeven do”. This
fascinates me. The totally different way in which English on the one hand
and Dutch and German on the other use the verb “ to do” and doen/tun.