LL-L "Grammar" 2010.12.18 (02) [EN]

Sun Dec 19 03:39:22 UTC 2010

L O W L A N D S - L - 18 December 2010 - Volume 02
Posting: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Henno Brandsma <hennobrandsma at hetnet.nl>

Subject: LL-L "Grammar" 2010.12.17 (02) [EN]

From: pbarrett <pbarrett at cox.net>

Subject: LL-L "Grammar" 2010.12.16 (01) [EN]

Heather, I am sorry I didn't make it clear that I was speaking only of
American English. In movies from England, I hear the reversed order question
form with have all the time. It would strike me as very unusual to walk into
a liquor store in Chandler, AZ and hear someone say, "Have you any
supercheap beer, dude?" whereas someone in a posh restaurant might say,"Have
you any Grey Poupon?" I'm being a little facetious here but it is unusual
even among educated people in the U.S.

The McWhorter book deals with the Germanic dialects using do-support as
well.

Pat Barrett

Whether "to have" has "do support" is a consequence of how that particular
dialect analyzes "to have".

If it is an auxiliary in all contexts, then have behaves like one in that it
has no do support, and direct negation

(I haven't any bread, etc.) while some consider it a "main verb" in the
possessive sense (sometimes reinforced

by an extra "got") and an auxiliary otherwise (do you have bread vs have you
seen him).

Of course, historically, all verbs behaved like the current day auxiliaries.

Henno Brandsma

----------

From: pbarrett <pbarrett at cox.net>

Subject: LL-L "Grammar" 2010.12.17 (03) [EN]

Such nursery rhymes, songs, poems, church language, high formal style, and
so forth all contain archaisms. I made a point with my own kids of exposing
them to such language. However, many American children do not hear such
nursery rhymes, songs, etc, coming as they do out of a different tradition
from mine. My wife comes out of a deep Black culture from East Texas and we
exposed our children to that as well, esp through church, where the language
shifts back and forth between standared English and Black English and the
songs are filled with biblical references.

If parents do not expose their children to the riches of English, it's up to
the schools to do so.

Pat Barrett

If parents do not expose their children to the riches of English, it's up to
the schools to do so.

Amen!

And, of course, in *my* book "English" as used by Pat in this context can
stand for any other language.

Seattle, USA

listserv at listserv.linguistlist.org or lowlands.list at gmail.com
http://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo#!/group.php?gid=118916521473498<http://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo#%21/group.php?gid=118916521473498>