LL-L "Etymology" 2010.02.03 (02) [EN]

Wed Feb 3 18:32:47 UTC 2010

L O W L A N D S - L - 03 February 2010 - Volume 03

From: Brooks, Mark <mark.brooks at twc.state.tx.us>
Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2010.02.03 (01) [EN]

Paul asked: “That's another curiosity - spud. Anybody know where it comes
from, and if it's used for "potato" outside Britain, Australia and New
Zealand?”

I don’t know where the word comes from, but, I know it and use it in the
USA.

Mark Brooks

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Etymology

Paul,

The basic meaning of "spud" seems to be "something short and stumpy".
Surprisingly (to me and probably to you as well), its use in reference to
potato was first recorded in New Zealand!

*Spud*
c.1440 "small or poor knife," of uncertain origin probably related to Dan.
spyd, O.N. spjot "spear," Ger. Spiess "spear, lance"). Meaning "spade" is
from 1667; sense of "short or stumpy person or thing" is from 1687; that of
"potato" is first recorded 1845 in New Zealand English.

http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?search=spud&searchmode=none

The Online *Oxford English Dictionary *says the origin is obscure, and it
lists these meanings:

   - A short and poor knife or dagger. *Obs.*
   - An iron head or blade socketed on or fixed to a plough-staff. *Obs.*
   - A digging or weeding implement of the spade-type, having a narrow
   chisel-shaped blade.
   - A digging fork with three broad prongs.
   - A small instrument with enlarged end used in ocular and other surgery.
   - A chisel-like implement used to remove the bark from timber
   - A short or stumpy person or thing.
   - A potato. *slang and dial. *
   *1845* E. J.
WAKEFIELD<http://dictionary.oed.com.offcampus.lib.washington.edu/help/bib/oed2-w.html#e-j-wakefield>
   *Adventure in N.Z.* I. xi. 319 Pigs and potatoes were respectively
   represented by ‘*grunters*’ and ‘*spuds*’.
   *1860* *Slang Dict.* 225 In Scotland, a spud is a raw potato; and roasted
   spuds are those cooked in the cinders with their jackets on. *1868* *Good
   Wds.* Xmas No. 6/1 My..neighbour stretched out his hand to help himself
   to ‘spuds’. *1898* *Westm. Gaz.* 6 Oct. 7/2 Three-quarters of a pound of
   meat and a pound of bread are the rations, spuds and pudding being thrown
   in.

So it looks to me as though "spud" in the sense of "potato" started outside
America, was then transported to North America (possibly by Scottish and/or
Northern English immigrants) and then became obsolete outside North America.

Seattle, USA