LL-L "Projects" 2010.02.24 (05) [EN]

Wed Feb 24 17:55:39 UTC 2010

L O W L A N D S - L - 24 February 2010 - Volume 05

From: Michael Everson <everson at evertype.com>
Subject: LL-L "Projects" 2010.02.24 (03) [EN]

> From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
> Subject: Projects
>
> Hi, Michael, and welcome back! Of course I remember you.
>
> That's an interesting project you have there.

Fun, too.

> So I take it you are talking about new translations in some cases. For
instance, there are numerous German translations already (
http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alice_im_Wunderland), also at least two Dutch
translations.

Yes, I am. Actually I am putting out a new edition of the Zimmermann High
German translation (which was written in Fraktur orthography but authorized
by Carroll). There are at least three Dutch translations prior to 1900, the
first of which is apparently an abridgement. I've not seen any of those,
though I found a reprint of one of them today, (apparently in its original
1887 spelling, whether facsimile or not I don't know).

But yes, it would seem sensible to talk about new translations.

> P.S.: A digitized original version for those that need it:
http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~rgs/alice-table.html<http://www.cs.cmu.edu/%7Ergs/alice-table.html>

Anyone who DOES want to do a translation should get a corrected file from
me; that one has problems with punctuation, for instance.

From: Cliff Smuts <csmuts at xsinet.co.za>

Cliff Smuts csmuts at xsinet.co.za

Hi Michael

I am an Afrikaans speaker (not actually  dialect, but a full-on lanhguage
with roots in many of the Dutch dialects, and would really be interested to
translate Alice in Afrikaans.; To the best of my knowledge it has not been
done before, but could really add to the childrens (and adult) literature in
Afrikaans.