LL-L "Culture" 2010.07.10 (03) [EN-NDS]

Sat Jul 10 17:25:51 UTC 2010

*L O W L A N D S - L - 10 July 2010 - Volume 03*
Posting: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Paul Finlow-Bates <wolf_thunder51 at yahoo.co.uk>

Subject: LL-L "Culture" 2010.07.09 (05) [EN-NDS]

Well, I guess that answers my earlier post about it! If you guys like it, go
for it I say!

Paul

 From: Jonny <jonny.meibohm at arcor.de<http://uk.mc264.mail.yahoo.com/mc/compose?to=jonny.meibohm@arcor.de>>

Subject: LL-L "Culture" 2010.07.09 (02) [EN]

Reinhard schreyv:

> I’ve just been made aware of an initiative to institute a Low Saxon (Low
German) flag:

Dat hett Aort! Un' watt 'n smukke Flagg', hoyza dii! Sou 'n Ding kaomt bii
mii 'roppen Dakk!

Weyt'st all, wokeyn daor achter steekt??

Houl Dii!

Jonny Meibohm

Lower Saxony, Germany

----------

From: Paul Finlow-Bates <wolf_thunder51 at yahoo.co.uk>

Subject: LL-L "History" 2010.07.09 (05) [EN-NDS]**

I'm English, and an atheist. But my flag is a red cross and I'm proud to
keep it that way.

The Christians co-opted the cross, they never invented it. Its symbolic
importance goes way beyond Christianity and four right-angles are a
mathematical feature of nature.  I like cresent moons too, as symbols, but
I'm not a Muslim and recognise no ownership of the image by them.

My criticism of this flag (as an outsider) was on grounds of aesthetics and
originality, not because of the cross. I think Denmark, Sweden and Scotland
have great flags too. To my eyes, Norway's, Iceland's and the United
Kingdom's are fussy hybrids, and this one falls in the same category.

Paul