LL-L "Grammar" 2010.06.01 (04) [EN]

Wed Jun 2 02:20:03 UTC 2010

*L O W L A N D S - L - 01 June 2010 - Volume 04*
Posting: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Hellinckx Luc <luc.hellinckx at gmail.com>

Subject: LL-L "Language politics"

Beste Hannelore,

You wrote:

...Ja, un 2006 hebben wi, dat heit, Schäuler un ick de VHS verlaten.

It strikes me you consistently write "hebben wi", where Ron, Marcus and
Arend would say "hebbt wi". I have the impression your Saxon is very
authentic though, therefore I wonder, which one would be the innovation,
"hebben wi" or "hebbt wi"?

Any ideas anybody?

Kind greetings,

Luc Hellinckx, Halle, Belgium

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>

Subject: Grammar

Luc,

*All* of it is correct. There is dialectical variation is this and other
regards. There are dialects in which the present-tense verbal plural ending
is *-t*, and there are those in which it is *-en*. (It is *-en *for the
preterit verbal plural in *all* dialects.) Hanne’s dialect uses *-en*, while
mine uses *-t*.

(sing, have, make, come)
ik sing - heff - maak - kaam
du singst - hest - maakst - kümmst
he/se/dat singt - hett - maakt - kümmt
wi/ji/se singt ~ singen - hebbt ~ hebben - maakt ~ maken - kaamt ~ kamen

Please remember that Low Saxon has no regularized grammar.

I hope this helps.

Seattle, USA

listserv at listserv.linguistlist.org or lowlands.list at gmail.com
http://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo#!/group.php?gid=118916521473498<http://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo#%21/group.php?gid=118916521473498>