LL-L "History" 2010.03.13 (03) [DE-EN-NDS]

Sun Mar 14 00:31:36 UTC 2010

*L O W L A N D S - L - 13 March 2010 - Volume 03*
Posting: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Hellinckx Luc <luc.hellinckx at gmail.com>
Subject: LL-L "History"

Beste Jonny,

On 13/03/10, at 22:26, Jonny wrote:

Hanne:
*Wer war Frangipani? Ein Mönch?*

Nee, weit gefehlt: ein österreichisch-kroatisch-ungarischer Duodez-Fürst von
der schlechteren Sorte, verdeutscht auch "Frankopan" ('fränkischer Herr'??).

No apparent link with the Franks as far as I can see. The "Frangipani"
family was named after the act of breaking the bread (proof of being a
devout Christian?), "frangere il pane" in Italian.

Off the record, "frangipane" cakes are my favorite type of cookies. Here in
Belgium, they are very popular, and consist of almonds with a little icing
on top. Back in the days, one guy of the Frangipani family must have
invented a sort of perfume, which was often sprayed on gloves. Soon the
fragrance started carrying his name. Later on, the same scent was used in
pastry, hence "a frangipane tartlet".

Kind greetings,

Luc Hellinckx, Halle, Belgium

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: History

Jonny and everyone,

Indeed, Frangipani (with the alternative Frangipane) has nothing to do with
Franks and nothing with Slavic *pan* 'lord' either. It is the name of a very
influential Roman family in the Middle Ages. The meaning of the name is
"Bread Breakers" (Italian *frangere il pane* 'to break (the) bread'). One
branch of the family evolved into a Croatian family line by name of
Frankopan. In later, Slavic-speaking times the folk etymology of "Frankish
lord" may have arisen.

Incidentally, in English and German, Frangipani is the common name of a
flower whose botanical names are *Plumeria* and *Himatanthus*. It is of
exquisite beauty. I had quite a few plants of it growing in my front garden
in Australia. It is one of the *de facto* state flowers of Hawaii, where its
native name *Melia* is a popular women's name, perhaps also because of its
similarity with Maria.

Seattle, USA

----------

From: Hannelore Hinz <hannehinz at t-online.de>
Subject: LL-L "History" 2010.03.12 (03) [DE-NDS]

Hallo Marcus,

besten Dank ok. Man in de von di näumte Web. steiht up de Sied 183:
Der Verfertiger des Stammbaumes nahm offenbar eine II. Apollonia an, die er
im Stammbaum nicht unterzubringen wusste.*
DRITTE AUFLAGE  Frankfurt am Main VERLAG VON HEINRICH KELLER 1901

De Stammbom steiht in mien Bauk nich in.
FÜNFTE BIS NEUNTE AUFLAGE. COPYRIGHT 1926 BY FRANKFURTER VERLAGS-ANSTALT
A.-G. / BERLIN
* Dat löt mi nahdenken. Nu sinnier ick, worüm hier de Stammbom weglaten
is...
Woans künn man dit utleggen.
Mi hebben's ümmer vertellt, FRANGIPANI  is 'n Mönch west...
un de Ring nich von Gold (Iesen ...?)

http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Appollonia

(Sagwort: "Denn laten wi dat so", säd Dackdecker Möller.)

Noch 'n schönen Sünndag för all' Lowlanners.

Hanne