LL-L "Grammar" 2010.03.16 (03) [EN]

Tue Mar 16 16:35:51 UTC 2010

*L O W L A N D S - L - 16 March 2010 - Volume 03*
Posting: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Diederik Masure <didimasure at hotmail.com>
Subject: LL-L "Grammar" 2010.03.15 (03) [EN]

It *is from *Hamburg itself actually, it is what the mayor of Hamburg
Joachim Bechendorff supposedly said at King Christian 4.s "hylding"/"indtog"
(official entrance?) *30 october 1603 *in St. Peters Church. Hamburg indeed
claimed to be a free city not being obligated to do so, due to a previous
count Albrecht af Orlemunde selling the inhabitants the city for 1500 golden
mark (1364) - but Christian didn't accept the legalty of this sale since the
count wasn't legally allowed to sell lands in 'lehn' with him; and the
German emperor Carl had agreed with this claim in 1368 already that the
Hamburgians officially had to obey the counts of Holsteen; so now they had
to organise the entrance of Christian; altho he was the last Danish king to
do so.

Thanks for all the info tho!

Diederik