LL-L "Resources" 2010.05.17 (03) [EN]

Mon May 17 18:21:17 UTC 2010

L O W L A N D S - L - 17 May 2010 - Volume 03
Posting: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: M.-L. Lessing <marless at gmx.de>

Subject: LL-L "Resources" 2010.05.17 (02) [EN]

Leve Jonny,

you are quite right, Carstensen is a fluent Platt speaker, and he speaks far
better than this website text. It can not be his own composition. When the
Plattdeutsche Rat von Schleswig-Holstein had a conference with him in his
bureau I had the opportunity to hear him speak and converse with him in
Platt for a considerable time; and to me he seemed to speak true west coast
Platt easily and coherently, even when expressing more complicated things.
He is a Nordstrand born man. In fact he prides himself on his Platt and uses
it -- with a little touch of cliché -- in election campaigns.

This shows how little politicians care even about those issues they say are
"close to their heart". Or maybe the website people thought today nobody
could tax the quality of a platt text anymore...

The Hamburg website is a disaster, in German too.

Hartlich!

Marlou

(Hamburg/Holstein)

From: jonny <jonny.meibohm at arcor.de>

Subject: LL-L "Resources" 2010.05.16 (01) [EN-NDS]

Beste Reinhard, beste Holsteyner Naobers,

in your comment to

http://www.schleswig-holstein.de/

you wrote:

In my opinion, the site‘s shortcomings include difficult navigation,
unnecessarily long URLs, and inconspicuous language version links. Also, the
server was down for a few moments each time I connected to the site on
several days - not a good thing for an official site like that.

The same I had to find out - at the moment again no chance to connect. This
may show what little heed they pay to it.

And another point of criticism: the introduction of Mr. Carstensen seems to
be a simple 1:1 translation from Standard German into Low Saxon. The
translators or he himself kept the typical German syntax and use typical
German phrases, though he (Carstensen) should know better, because he is
born in 1947 and grown up in rural, meaning LS sphere. So he should be a
native speaker of LS.

Maybe that the whole text should not sound *'too Plattdeutsch',* with the
intent, that *everybody* even with the slightest knowledge shall be able to
read it. But - used this way Low Saxon looks just like a curious dialect of
Standard German.

As a native speaker I regret the poor quality of the project and seriously
doubt that such half-hearted lip services really help to keep Low Saxon
aspected as a separate language, which is worth to be saved for the
afterworld. Officially published this way it even has contraproductive
effects!

Allerbest!

Jonny Meibohm

Lower Saxony, Germany