LL-L "Music" 2010.11.02 (04) [DE-EN]

Wed Nov 3 01:38:14 UTC 2010

L O W L A N D S - L - 02 November 2010 - Volume 04
Posting: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Hannelore Hinz <HanneHinz at t-online.de>

Subject: LL-L "Music" 2010.11.02 (02) [EN]

Oh! Da geht die Post ab, welch ein Temperament!

So habe ich mir mehrmals den ersten musikalischen Film (zugleich
mehrsprachig) angesehen.

Niemand wollte den glänzenden Auftritt der FOKN Bois versäumen. Beendruckend
und auch nachddenklich,

was sich so hinter den Kulissen abspielt.

Hanne

----------

From: pbarrett <pbarrett at cox.net>

One of my funnest moments was in working with a girl from Liberia who spoke
Pidgin English and finding that the word for "who?" is "whodat?"

While "whodat" has become famous b/c of the New Orleans Saints football
team, my mind back then went immediately to that great comedy routine in the
movies from the 40s (I think) where a Black character says, "Who dat say who
dat?"

In googling this I found, perusing 19 pages of google, nothing of substance
on this. Clearly, whodat must be the word for who in Gullah, the English
Creole spoken on the Sea Islands off Georgia and South Carolina. From there,
it must have slipped into African-American Vernacular English and then into
minstrelsey, vaudeville, and movies. From there, it moved into the general
circulation in WW II. Only the last is documented in anything I saw in a
search of google. I came up with the rest of this myself, so here is a case
of pidgin, again, contributing a common phrase to English, like top side and
look see, with little knowledge of its origin.

The main thrust of my interest in this is how the focus goes immediately to
the current, the up-to-date, the commercial, rather than to the simple fact
that this expression has been around for several centuries among Africans
and African-Americans using their variety of English. That's all ignored in
the rush to embrace what is currently popular. Bah!

Pat Barrett pbarrett at cox.net
http://ideas.lang-learn.us/barrett.php

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>

Subject: Music

Nice to hear from you again, Pat!

Ghanaian Pidgin is considered a dialect of the more widely used
English-based West African Pidgin Language. It retains a good deal of words
and expressions that are associated with 17th- and 18th-century Africa
trade, including slave trade. For instance, the word for “to beat’ or ‘to
hit’ is *lash* ...

Seattle, USA

listserv at listserv.linguistlist.org or lowlands.list at gmail.com
http://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo#!/group.php?gid=118916521473498<http://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo#%21/group.php?gid=118916521473498>