LL-L "History" 2009.10.02 (02) [EN]

Sat Oct 2 21:44:09 UTC 2010

*L O W L A N D S - L - 02 October 2010 - Volume 02
*lowlands.list at gmail.com - http://lowlands-l.net/
Posting: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Roger Thijs, Euro-Support, Inc. <roger.thijs at euro-support.be>
Subject: LL-L Cultural Interactions

I'm living in a country (Belgium) that has been occupied several times:

1940 - 1944 by Germany

1914 - 1918 by Germany

1815 - 1830 by the Netherlands (an enforced union)

1795 - 1814 by France etc.

The occupations left some stuff, that has often been hidden afterwards, but
it still incidentally pops up as part of our history.

I found a little book with songs (with score) in an antiquarian bookshop,
and I'm wundering which ones of the songs are still acceptable and sung in
Germany

The title:

Liedersammlung der Reichsdeutschen Gemeinschaft in Belgium, no date,
Eigentum der Ortsgruppe der AO der NSDAP.

(What is the AO?)

Herausgegeben von der Landesgruppenleitung der AO der NSDAP in Belgien von
G. Höhne, Landesgruppenschulungsleiter.

The content (preceeded with the page number):

3    Deutschland, Deutschland über alles

    Dichtung Hoffmann von Fallerseben, Weise Jos. Haydn 1797

4    Die Fahne hoch

    Horst Wessel, 1927

5    Auf, hebt Unsre Fahnen

    Willi Zorg / Fritz Gotke, Satz: Heinrich Spîtta

6    Brüder in Zechen und Gruben

    Altes Kampflied der SA

6    Deutschland, heilige Wort

    Georg, Blumensaat

7    Der Gott, der Eisen wachsen liess

    E. M. Arndt

8    Heilig Vaterland

    Nach Rudolf Allexander Schröder, Weise und Satz: Heinrich Spitta

9    Hohe Nacht der klaren Sterne

    H. Baumann

10    In den Ostwind hebt die Fahnen

    Hans Baumann

11    Lasset im Winde die Fahnen wehn

    Herbert Napiersky

12    Nun last die Fahnen fliegen

    Weise: Hans Baumann, Satz: Gotthold Frotscher

13    Nur der Freiheit gehört unser Leben

    Weise: Hans Baumann; Satz: Helmut Majewaki

14     Wir tragen das Vaterland

    Weise: Will Decker; Satz: Gotthold Frotscher

15    Volk ans Gewehr

    Otto Pardun

No doubt most of it is typical for the period.

Question is: do we consider it as part of our history?

Or should we burn this stuff and rub it out from memory?

Regards,

Roger

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>

Subject: History

*Hi, Roger!

“... *the songs are still acceptable”? Hardly acceptable. In fact, several
of them, at least, are outlawed! When I was a youngster, I once watched a
man being arrested for singing “Die Fahne hoch” in front of the Hamburg town
hall (or rather *at* the town hall of a city state whose mayor at the time
was Jewish).

Should we forget about it? Clearly not, I say. It is a part of Belgian,
German and European history. “Remember, but don’t repeat!”**

Seattle, USA

listserv at listserv.linguistlist.org or lowlands.list at gmail.com
http://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo#!/group.php?gid=118916521473498<http://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo#%21/group.php?gid=118916521473498>