LL-L "Tradition" 2010.09.05 (06) [DE-EN]

Sun Sep 5 23:18:32 UTC 2010

*L O W L A N D S - L - 05 September 2010 - Volume 06
*lowlands.list at gmail.com - http://lowlands-l.net/
Posting: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Heiko Evermann <heiko.evermann at gmx.de>

Subject: LL-L "Tradition" 2010.09.05 (05) [DE-EN]

Hi Marlou,

> I think there was a discussion here some time ago about this northern
german
> peculiarity. I have seen meetings fail because northern germans and people
> from elsewhere had different notions about what was "diesen Dienstag" :-)
> But as to what "dieser Dienstag" or "this weekend" is, it can extend into
> the past as well. "Dieses" is always the named day or weekend that is
> closest to the time of speaking, I think, whereas "nächstes" (future) or
> "letztes" (past) is one instance farther off. If you return to your job on
> Monday you may ask your colleague "Was hast du denn dieses Wochenende
> gemacht?" And he may say "Ich war im Arboretum in Ellerhoop!" You say: "Da
> war ich letztes Wochenende!" Now you may switch into future: "Und was
machst
> du dieses Wochenende?" "Na was wohl, Pauli gegen HSV!" "Ach, ist das nicht
> erst nächstes Wochenende?" -- So "dieses" is always the closest weekend,
be
> it future or past. Being a Hamburger, do you agree?

If you say "was hast du dieses Wochenende gemacht", it is referring to
the past weekend, because the sentence is in perfect tense.
If you say "was machst du dieses Wochenende" it might be ambiguous on
Monday, but certainly not on Tuesday because business work quickly
wears off the recreation from the past weekend. So it is not the
question which weekend (past or future) is nearer.

Heiko

listserv at listserv.linguistlist.org or lowlands.list at gmail.com
http://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo#!/group.php?gid=118916521473498<http://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo#%21/group.php?gid=118916521473498>