LL-L "Grammar" 2011.04.26 (04) [EN]

Wed Apr 27 00:46:59 UTC 2011

L O W L A N D S - L - 26 April 2011 - Volume 04
Posting: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>

Subject: Grammar

Dear Lowlanders,

Among the world’s languages there are those whose grammars allow or require
the speaker to use specific grammatical devices (tenses, modes, moods,
voices or aspects) that indicate second-hand knowledge. In other words, in
reporting an event that you did not witness yourself you use a grammatical
form that differs from the one you use to report an event of which you have
first-hand knowledge.

This applies for instance in the Turkic languages and in Japanese. For
instance, Turkish uses an “inferential” tense marked by the suffix /–mVş–/
(→ –*miş*– ~ –*müş*– ~ –*mış*–~ –*muş*–); e.g., ...

(Ben) dinlemelidir. (I must listen.)

(Ben) dinlemeliydim. (I had to listen.)

(Ben) dinlecek*miş*im. (It seems I will listen.)

(Ben) dinleliy*miş*im. (Apparently/They say I must listen.)

(Ben) dinleyorum. (I am listening.)

(Ben) dinleliyor*muş*um. (I seem to be listening.)

The inferential tense is widely used in news reporting, except in cases in
which a writer has first-hand knowledge. Use of this tense is mandatory in
narratives such as fairytales.

I can’t think of anything equivalent in the Lowlands languages nor in the
Germanic branch generally. But I wonder if any of you can come up with
something.

Related or not, it makes me think of the fact that titles of news reports in
English use what appears to be present tense, probably more likely the
aorist; e.g.

Ron Paul *kicks* off exploratory committee

(= Ron Paul kicked off exploratory committee)

Obama *reissues* call to cut U.S. oil tax breaks

(= Obama *reissued* call to cut U.S. oil tax breaks)

Southwest jet *slides* off runway at Midway

(= Southwest jet *slid* off runway at Midway)

Clearly, all these events happened in the past, and this is so stated within
the actual texts of the respective articles.

Is this title-specific style unique?

What might be its origin?

Seattle, USA

listserv at listserv.linguistlist.org or lowlands.list at gmail.com