LL-L "Idiomatica" 2009.08.19 (02) [EN-NL]

Lowlands-L lowlands.list at GMAIL.COM
Sat Aug 20 05:58:58 UTC 2011

 L O W L A N D S - L - 19 August 2011 - Volume 02
Posting: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Jacqueline Bungenberg de Jong Dutchmatters at comcast.net
Subject: LL-L "Idiomatica" 2009.08.9 (01) [EN]

Henry,

I think the question is: *do you say it*? A child, or an infatuated
youngster may say “ ik vind jou lief”, but “ ik houd van jou” is an entirely
different kettle of fish; just like “je t’aime” has a slightly different
color to it than “I love you”. ( Om van “Ich liebe dich” maar niet te
spreken! ). I have a sneaky feeling that people who are tied to the land,
who are pragmatic do not say it, rather they would show it by bringing their
loved one a bunch of flowers, building them a house or whistling at him/her
in a special way, or even getting her pregnant. Is that maybe the tone of “
le ton qui fait la musique” of lowland languages? And no, I am not being
flippant.

Jacqueline BdJ
Seattle Wa. USA

----------

From: "Steven Hanson" <ammurit at gmail.com>

While we’re at it, I’ve always wondered about where the Dutch construction
might have come from.   Does it have to do with holding someone in high (or
rather, the highest possible) regard?  Or should a literal interpretation of
‘houden’ be placed aside?

Also, while we’re at it, I want to say that I’ve seen or heard about another
form in Dutch involving a word…something like ‘verlieft’…which escapes me at
the moment.  I’m curious as to the differences in meaning between the two,
and why it came to be that ‘houden van jou’ seems to have won out.

From: Henry Pijffers <henry.pijffers at gmail.com>
Subject: LL-L Love

How does one say "I love you" in Low Saxon? I've been wondering about
that for a while now.

In the Low Saxon I speak (Twente, Dutch side of the border), we don't
have a form similar to "I love you", "Ich liebe dich", "Je t'aime",
etc. We've addopted the Dutch format, "Ik hou van jou", so we say "Ik
hold' van (d)u".

How does one say "I love you" in for example North German Low Saxon?

regards,
Henry
*
----------

*From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Idiomatica

Hey, Steven!

My hunch is that Dutch *houden van ...* originally meant something like "to
think highly of ..." or "to hold ... in high regard," that it transitioned
to the sense of "to love ..." via the initial sense of "to like ...", i.e.
that it started of as a "typically Lowlandic" understatement.

In Low Saxon of Germany you can say *Ik hold vẹẹl **vun* ...
{person/thing}, in German correspondingly *Ich halte viel **von* ...
{person/thing} -- "I hold a lot of ... {person/thing}" -- in the sense of "I
think highly of ..." or just "I like ... (a lot)".

Dutch *verlieft (in)*, like German *verliebt (in)*, means 'in love (with)',
from the verbs **verlieven* (defunct? > *verlieft worden*) and *sich* *
verlieben* respectively 'to fall in love'. In some Low Saxon dialects of
Germany you can say *sik (in ...) verleven*. But to me it seems
idiomatically more authentic to say *sik (in ...) verkieken* (from the verb
*kieken* 'to look'), or *sik (in ...) vernarren* (from the verb *narren* 'to
fool' < nominal *Narr* 'fool'),

Seattle, USA

listserv at listserv.linguistlist.org or lowlands.list at gmail.com