LL-L "Idiomatica" 2011.08.31 (04) [EN-NL]

Lowlands-L lowlands.list at GMAIL.COM
Wed Aug 31 21:48:13 UTC 2011

 L O W L A N D S - L - 31 August 2011 - Volume 04
Posting: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: "Stellingwerfs Eigen" <info at stellingwerfs-eigen.nl>
Subject: LL-L "Idiomatica"

Dear Sandy,
You wrote>: However, the question is only about how to say a simple phrase
in different languages.

What do You mean by a simple phrase? Is saying 'I love You' a simple
phrase..? In my opinion definitely it is not.
As You might know (or not know), last year I finnished translating the Holy
Bible into Stellingwarfs (LS).
Let's see what can go wrong in a word- or phrase translating, f.i. the last
phrase of Gen 19:5

African: Bring hulle na ons toe uit, *dat ons hulle kan beken.*
Denish: Kom herud med dem, *for at vi kan stille vor Lyst på dem!"*
Stand. Am.: bring them out unto us, *that we may know them.
*King James: bring them out unto us, *that we may know them.
*Webster: bring them out to us, *that we may know them.
*Dutch: breng hen uit tot ons, *opdat wij ze bekennen.*

Did You recognize *'to know them'* as *'want to have sex with them'*?
Well, to be honest, I did not. My first (oops) translation was: ... *that we
wanna ask them their names!*

 Frysk: Bring se by ús, *dan wolle wy mei har omslaan.*
In World Enlish: Bring them out to us, *that we may have sex with them."*
See for more translations: http://www.bibles-for-the-world.com

During my first English lessons at school (long time ago!) we always had to
laugh about the sentence: in England it's raining cats and dogs! (In
Engeland regent het katten en honden!)
Translating, in my opinion, is much more than translating just a word or a
phrase.
With love from Stellingwarf,
Piet Bult

listserv at listserv.linguistlist.org or lowlands.list at gmail.com