LL-L "Etymology" 2011.12.16 (06) [EN]

Lowlands-L lowlands.list at GMAIL.COM
Sat Dec 17 05:56:51 UTC 2011

 L O W L A N D S - L - 16 December 2011 - Volume 06
Posting: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Mike Morgan mwmbombay at gmail.com
   Subject: LL-L 'Etymology' 2010.12.16 (02) [DE-EN]

Sandy & Co!

>> I also think that gwlan is monosyllabic, like gwlad 'country' (derived
from wlat-, related to Irish flaith 'lord').
> "w" is normally pronounced [u(:)], as Ron says, but the "gwl" consonant
cluster is an exception.

It's not that the cluster /gwl/ is an exception (the same applies to /gwn/
as in *gwneud* "to do" or /gwr/ as in *gwraig* "woman"), it is that the
orthographic letter w does double duty; normally it is a vowel ([u(:)] as
Sandy says), but it is also used after the letter g to indicate a
labialized voiced velar (which derives from the Indo-European labial glide
w) with no vocalic feature at all. Thus *gwneud* and *gwraig* are also
monosyllabic words. (note howevery if the /g/ is followed by /wy/ you
cannot tell, as sometimes the /w/ goes with the /g/ to indicate
labialialness, and sometimes it goes with the /y/ as a diphthong /wy/.

AND, when there is so-called soft-mutation of the initial /gw/ the /g/ is
lost, as the labialness "attaches" to the following r, l or n. THIS is
probably what makes *wlanen* (mutated form of *gwlanen*) sound "like"
flannen > flannel

Sometimes though, esp with the verb *gwneud*, which is a VERY common verb
(used also to form periphrastic preterite and future tenses), in dialect
and colloquial pronunciation the /gw/ are lost altogether in ALL forms fo
the verb. Thus, literary *gwnaf i* [gwn'avi/ becomes *na i* [na i]... as
final f /v/ is also often lost, esp in 1st sg forms of verbs (and equally
often "absorbed" into the pronoun, so that *i* "I" has become *fi* in many
forms, even when etymologically it should not be there.

mwm || *U* C > || mike || мика  || माईक || マイク || மாய்க் (aka Dr Michael W
Morgan)

*"If one has no affection for a person or a system, one should feel free to
give the fullest expression to his disaffection so long as he does not
contemplate, promote, or incite violence." (MKG)
"You assist an unjust administration most effectively by obeying its orders
and decrees. An evil administration never deserves such allegiance.
Allegiance to it means partaking of the evil.* *A good person will resist
an evil system with his whole soul. Disobedience of the laws of an evil
state is therefore a duty." (MKG)*

----------

From: Hannelore Hinz <hannehinz at t-online.de> <hannehinz at t-online.de>
Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2010.12.15. (04) [DE]

Dat Wuurd "Bagaluten" is mi all oft tau Uhren kamen.
Ick mücht' woll meinen, dat stammt ut Ostpreußen. Dat möt woll ein
ostpreuß'sch Schimpwuurd sien. Bagaluten..., Banausen, Halunken, ihr
Schlingels ...?
Künn je sien, ick kam dor noch achter.

Hanne

From: Hannelore Hinz <hannehinz at t-online.de> <hannehinz at t-online.de>