LL-L 'Traditions' 2010.12.22 (03) [EN]

Lowlands-L lowlands.list at GMAIL.COM
Fri Dec 23 02:54:13 UTC 2011

 L O W L A N D S - L - 22 December 2011 - Volume 03
Posting: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Kevin & Cheryl Caldwell kevin.caldwell1963 at verizon
   Subject: LL-L 'Traditions' 2010.12.22 (02) [EN]

I doubt that the term “potluck” has anything to do with “potlatch.” It’s
more along the lines of “the luck of the pot,” in that you never know what
other people are bringing.  Potluck meals are also called “pitch-ins”
(because everyone pitches in to provide the meal) or “covered dish
dinners.”  They are so common (at least in the US) that you can find entire
cookbooks dedicated to them, as well as serving dishes designed for ease of
transport (including insulated carrying bags, snap-on lids to prevent
spills, etc.).

Kevin Caldwell
Laurel, MD

----------

From: Mike Morgan mwmbombay at gmail.com

Thanks Mark for nudging my brain....

Yes, it seems not unlikely (how is THAT for a hedge!) that a possible
source of the NAME *potluck* is "potlatch" (which is Chinook jargon
originally coming from Nuu-chah-nulth (aka Nootka) verb *p̓ačiƛ* "to make a
ceremonial gift in a potlatch").

Potlatch is the traditional give-away of NW coast tribes, in which wealth
and possessions are redistributed (a native welfare scheme, if you will).
Traditionally, these potlatches were held in winter months (maybe also a
source of N American love of Christmas gift exchanges?). And, giving truth
to the saying "it is better to give than to receive", status in these
tribes was largely associated with who gave away the most at the potlatch.
(Maybe that is where the Rockefellers and Carnegies got their idea of
philanthropy.)

Note: both canada and (later) the US made potlatches illegal in the late
19th century.

a good overview is given at:
   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Potlatch

From: Brooks, Mark mark.brooks at twc.state.tx.us

Well, it could be folk etymology, but I heard that it comes from the
Tlingit tribe in the Pacific Northwest coast of Canada and the USA. You can
read about the tradition at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Potlatch. We took
a tour in the Ketchikan, Alaska area and that’s what we heard. Like I said,
it could be a tour-guide’s explanation.

mwm || *U* C > || mike || мика  || माईक || マイク || மாய்க் (aka Dr Michael W
Morgan)
linguistic typologist/sign language linguist (temporarily) at large
"Have language, will travel"
*"If one has no affection for a person or a system, one should feel free to
give the fullest expression to his disaffection so long as he does not
contemplate, promote, or incite violence." (MKG)
"You assist an unjust administration most effectively by obeying its orders
and decrees. An evil administration never deserves such allegiance.
Allegiance to it means partaking of the evil.* *A good person will resist
an evil system with his whole soul. Disobedience of the laws of an evil
state is therefore a duty." (MKG)*

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Traditions

Thanks, guys!