LL-L 'Grammar' 2010.12.30 (07) [EN]

Lowlands-L lowlands.list at GMAIL.COM
Sat Dec 31 03:43:15 UTC 2011

L O W L A N D S - L - 30 December 2011 - Volume 07
Posting: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Pat Barrett pbarrett at cox.net
Subject: LL-L 'Grammar' 2010.12.30 (04) [EN]

You reasoned your way through instead of just reacting. That's good. We
remain with the problem that it sounds perfectly fine with me. As far as
not matching up is concerned, we may have to look for its roots in some
earlier stage of the language. "Try" is a so-called conative (a verb of
trying) and that may take a different framework than other verbs; I'm
thinking of verbs like "know" that do not take the progressive e.g. *I am
knowing this. It would require some research but I have read so many
explanations from the history of the language that account for these
seeming anomalies, that I am reluctant to ascribe a usage to....... what?
How would you see something that isn't as it should be having arisen?
Pat Barrett pbarrett at cox.net
http://ideas.lang-learn.us/barrett.php

listserv at listserv.linguistlist.org or lowlands.list at gmail.com