LL-L "Etymology" 2011.01.04 (01) [EN-FY-NDS]

Tue Jan 4 21:03:48 UTC 2011

L O W L A N D S - L - 04 January 2011 - Volume 01
Posting: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Henno Brandsma <hennobrandsma at hetnet.nl>

Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2011.01.03 (03) [EN]

From: Mark Dreyer <mrdreyer at lantic.net>

Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2011.01.02 (06) [EN]

Dear Marlou:

Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2011.01.02 (01) [EN]

On thinking it over I should rather have left the answer in the 'choose /
choosing' string to Ron, but since he responded anyway I can relax, sit back
& say 'Me too."

But while I'm about it let me cite my *other* authority, Boshoff en Nienaber
'Afrikaanse Etimologeë'. for the entry:

'Kies' (2) werkwoord, uitsoek, om voorkeur te gee aan; Nederlands *kiezen*,
English *choose*, Goties *kiusan*, hou verb. m. Latyns *gustus*, "proef,
smaak", Grieks *geuo*, ek laat proe, *geuomai*, "ek proe" etc.

They make further reference, as Ron does, to a simile 'keur' by which in
Afrikaans we also mean to choose or select, or referring something
that *is*'select'. Then there is eg 'Die Uitgekorene', 'The Chosen
One/s'. I do not
know the processes that brought two different words so close in sound &
meaning, or if they started the same, how they diverged without differing in
meaning.

However there are many such. & is an ancient Teutonic rhetorical gambit to
use them together in a stock phrase, Afr 'kies en keur', Eng 'pick &
choose'.

In Dutch we have the expression "te kust en te keur gaan" and this contains
2 old Ablaut variants of "*keuZan"

The r-z change is due to an old phenomenon known as "Grammatischer Wechsel"
in Indo-European linguistics.

It also explains Dutch "zien" vs past "zag", as well as "verliezen /
verloren", "kiezen / keur" etc.

See

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grammatischer_Wechsel

for more details (technical stuff!, it's due to a difference in stress in IE
that was lost in Old Germanic, essentially, which influenced the first
Germanic sound shift that set apart Germanic from the other IE languages)

Regards,

Henno Brandsma