LL-L "Language varieties" 2011.07.11 (02) [EN]

Mon Jul 11 22:58:40 UTC 2011

 L O W L A N D S - L - 11 July 2011 - Volume 02
Posting: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

 From: Mark and Ruth Dreyer mrdreyer at lantic.net
Subject: LL-L "Language varieties" 2011.07.10 (01) [EN]

Hello Ingmar:

Subject: LL-L "Language varieties"

    Thanks for the sweet compliment to my translation, but we both know it
owes more to the innate properties of both languages than any input on my
part.
    As for “Diets”, we know it but it is not generally used; only rarely
does the context call for such niceness of distinction. Not everybody can
call up Netherlands roots; but "Diets" has if only partially (because of the
Hugenots - & that is a part to be proud of) a share in all of us. However
Brown Afrikaners resort to the term more often, & to them we are 'Die
Dietsmansvolk' or 'Diesman'. 'Gantang' is a purely Slamaaier (Cape Malay)
flourish.
    Yes, it is really only to us Caucasians that pigmentation is seen as a
useful mark of our kind. Most of Humanity sees other points as more
distinctive... Erm.
    Thankfully, my People had comparatively little exposure to Nazi dogmas,
& for better & for worse we were - we are a little naive to some of its
nicities. I should include myself in this, & offer a post-scriptal apology
to anyone that finds the use of the word distasteful.

Yrs,
Mark.

 listserv at listserv.linguistlist.org or lowlands.list at gmail.com