LL-L Etymology" 2011.07.27 (02) [EN]

Lowlands-L lowlands.list at GMAIL.COM
Thu Jul 28 16:26:08 UTC 2011

  L O W L A N D S - L - 28 July 2011 - Volume 02
 Posting: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: heatherrendall at tiscali.co.uk heatherrendall at tiscali.co.uk
 Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2011.07.26 (02) [DE-NDS]

from Heather Rendall  at heatherrendall at tiscali.co.uk

new string

Dear All
yet again I am asking for your help and advice. We are reading the
Court Rolls of our village for the reign of Edward IV 1461 - 84. In
particular we were looking for details about a boundary dispute between
us and the village next door. It has finally been located and inter
alia contains a road name give as

hullanfortey   also known as   mere street

now the 'mere street' is almost certainly from gemaere = boundary as
the boundary at this point runs for about a mile along a road and has
done since first recorded in 757AD

What we cannot fathom is the 'hullanfortey' ( our palaeograhy teacher
says it might possibly be 'hullam-)

The boundary as given in 757 is lined with tumuli which may be
relevant

The boundary was demarcated even then by a hedge

The road still winds round imaginary mounds

At one point the parish boundary diverts into a field and then back out
to the road - supposedly routed round yet another tumuli. Until very
recently the furthest point of the diversion was marked by a pear
tree.

The only other grain of information that might of use is that it may
not necessarily be Germanic as we have some slight evidence that some
of our placenames retain some original Welsh. But knowing that that
won't be a barrier to some of you, I add it for good measure.

I'd be very grateful for any comments or suggestions

Thanks

Heather
Worcester UK

listserv at listserv.linguistlist.org or lowlands.list at gmail.com