LL-L "Etymology" 2011.06.04 (06) [EN]

Sun Jun 5 03:24:12 UTC 2011

L O W L A N D S - L - 04 June 2011 - Volume 06
Posting: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Lexicon

Hi, Lowlanders,

Northern Germany is very rarely mentioned in the world media, and now that
it is, it is in connection with something quite unpleasant, namely with the
newly mutated EColi (EHEC) and therefore especially dangerous pathogen.

I have been watching NDR (Nordeutscher Rundfunk) news about it. [
http://www.ndr.de/fernsehen/livestream223.html]

Medical jargon is clearly in the process of internationalization, and
especially among experts it is being gradually Anglicized. I find it
interesting to hear German experts talk down to the general public in media
interviews and in conversations with lesser-educated patients by resorting
to older German words.

Particularly interesting to me is German *Keim*, corresponding to Low Saxon
*Kiem* (~ *Kien*), Dutch *kiem*, and Afrikaans *kiem* and English *germ*.
All of them ought to be rendered as "pathogen" (and respective cognates) in
modern medical parlance. Like "germ," *Keim* and *kiem* are used in other
contexts as well. Furthermore, there is the verb "germinate": German *keimen
*, Low Saxon *kiemen*, Dutch *ontkiemen*, Afrikaans *ontkiem*.

First of all, I am surprised the Dutch word is *kiem* rather than expected *
*kijm*. Is it a Saxon loan?

The *Herkunftsduden* claims that this word group exists only in the "German
and Dutch" area. Does it really? Furthermore, it claims that there is a
connection with German *Keil* and Low Saxon *Kiel* 'wedge', 'keel' (> German
*Kiel* and English "keel"). Hmm ... really?

Old German: kīmo 'germ'
Old Low Frankish: kīmo 'germ'
Old Saxon: kīn (?) 'germ'
Gothic: (us)keinan 'to germinate', uskijans 'germinated'

Danish has *kim*, probably imported from Middle Saxon.

Any ideas?

Seattle, USA

listserv at listserv.linguistlist.org or lowlands.list at gmail.com