LL-L "Tradition" 2011.03.07 (5) [EN]

Tue Mar 8 03:06:56 UTC 2011

L O W L A N D S - L - 28 February 2011 - Volume 05
Posting: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org
============================== =======================

From: Hellinckx Luc <luc.hellinckx at gmail.com>
Subject: LL-L "Tradition"

Beste Lowlanders,

Just want to inform you about a tradition that hasn't received any attention
until now...as far as I know.

Most of you will be familiar with something that Americans call "prom
night", an event where high school students are organising a ball, dressed
in formal attire. This is a so-called "galabal" in my neck of the woods,
happening usually at the very end of the school year.

What may set the (Southern) Lowlands apart is our "Chrysostomos party". One
hundred days before graduation, 12th grade students hand over a symbolic key
to 11th graders. Relations within school are turned upside down for a day
(chaos and masks, reminiscent of carnival), teachers are parodied,
classrooms are "redecorated" and some get an award (best dressed
student/teacher, smartest, most attractive...). Got one this year myself
btw...not telling ;=)P

In Flanders, it's called "100 dagen" (Mak Π 100 in Italy), in the East,
we're talking about "Chrysostomos". Chrysostom was an early Christian church
father, well known for his eloquence. The guy grew up in modern-day Turkey
(just like Saint Nicholas) and was considered patron of "Retorica", name of
the final class of the traditional Latin-Greek education system (11th grade
was Poësis, in use till the mid eighties of last century).

Kind greetings,

Luc Hellinckx, Halle, Belgium

listserv at listserv.linguistlist.org or lowlands.list at gmail.com