LL-L "Tradition" 2011.03.09 (02) [EN]

Wed Mar 9 21:12:01 UTC 2011

L O W L A N D S - L - 09 March - Volume 02
Posting: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org
============================== =======================

From: Tom Mc Rae <thomas.mcrae at bigpond.com>
Subject: LL-L "Tradition" 2011.03.07 (5) [EN]

Alas Australia has adopted this tradition from its US origins.

Even crazier they adopted the silly English Upper Class practice of Debutant
Balls where young girls are presented to some

local man of minor significance. All girls wore white gowns and were
escorted by a handsome male to the podium where they curtsied

to the Big Kahuna.

While this latter practice is dying out in the cities in direct proportion
to the influx of non-English immigrants it still goes on

in rural areas with a local politician being the "lucky" fellah.

In Britain we merely had a school dance.