LL-L "Idiomatica" 2011.05.18 (04) [EN]

Wed May 18 22:27:16 UTC 2011

L O W L A N D S - L - 18 May 2011 - Volume 04
Posting: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: "Stellingwerfs Eigen" <info at stellingwerfs-eigen.nl>
Subject: LL-L

Dear Lowlanders,
If you meet someone for the first time or also a good friend, you can say
something like (as I learned at school): Hi, how are you, or something like
that. Usually you get an answer like: I'm fine, thank you. If you really
feel fine or not, is not the issue. You always say something positive: fine,
nice, very well, etc. I call this a positive approach.
In our Westlauwers Frysk, people many, many times - almost standard - give
the answer: "It koe minder" (it could be worse). This is somekind of a
negative approach, in my opinion.

I'm just wondering...
Q: Are there (more) such negative answers possible in English..?

Mit een vrundelike groet uut Stellingwarf,
Piet Bult

listserv at listserv.linguistlist.org or lowlands.list at gmail.com