LL-L "Idiomatica" 2011.05.19 (01) [EN]

Thu May 19 18:54:25 UTC 2011

L O W L A N D S - L - 19 May 2011 - Volume 01
Posting: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Isaac M. Davis isaacmacdonalddavis at gmail.com
Subject: LL-L "Idiomatica" 2011.05.18 (04) [EN]

Piet Bult wrote:

> Dear Lowlanders,
> If you meet someone for the first time or also a good friend, you can say
> something like (as I learned at school): Hi, how are you, or something like
> that. Usually you get an answer like: I'm fine, thank you. If you really
> feel fine or not, is not the issue. You always say something positive: fine,
> nice, very well, etc. I call this a positive approach.
> In our Westlauwers Frysk, people many, many times - almost standard - give
> the answer: "It koe minder" (it could be worse). This is somekind of a
> negative approach, in my opinion.
>
> I'm just wondering...
> Q: Are there (more) such negative answers possible in English..?

Not just possible, I've seen it done! It's not uncommon to hear '(I) can't
complain,' as a response to 'how are you?' When I'm in the mood to say this
sort of thing, I tend to say, 'I can't complain. Well, I could complain, but
no one would listen.'

Best,

Isaac M. Davis

--

"As I would not be a slave, so I would not be a master."
—Abraham Lincoln