LL-L "Idiomatica" 2011.05.19 (03) [EN]

Fri May 20 04:02:10 UTC 2011

L O W L A N D S - L - 19 May 2011 - Volume 03
Posting: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: mike.keach at gmail.com
Subject: LL-L "Idiomatica"

I've so enjoyed the responses to the question:  Q: Are there (more) such
negative answers possible in English..?

Those of you across the pond might not be familiar with the motivational
speaker and writer, Zig Ziglar, but his trademark answer (one which will
make all of you cringe with a sugar-induced pancreatic attack) to the
question: "How are you?" is, (drum roll . . . )

"I am super fantastic --- but, I'll be better!"

Grüezi mitenand!
~Mike von Tampadorf

Sent via BlackBerry by AT&

----------

From: M.-L. Lessing marless at gmx.de
 Subject: LL-L "Idiomatica" 2011.05.19 (01) [EN]*

*
Hi all,

in Germany there is a negatively tinted answer to "Wie geht's?", and that is
"Muss ja!". No explicitly negative word in it (as "complain" or "worse"),
but you clearly know the person is not too happy or just dragging along.
Anything like it in English?

Hartlich

Marlou

----------*

*From: "Steven Hanson" <ammurit at gmail.com>

*I very often say something along the lines of ‘Could be better, could be
worse.’

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Networking

Lowlanders,

In American English there is a mainstream convention in "polite" discourse
(i.e. among people that don't know each other well, and this tends to call
for "positive" responses even when these are not honest. Among people that
know each other better it is permissible to give more honest answers, as our
American friends here have already indicated.

And then there are ethno-specific conventions. For example, among Ashkenazi
Jewish Americans it is quite all right to be brutally honest and blunt. For
instance, you might respond with things like, "Egh!", or "Oy! Don't get me
started!", since in this culture, like in the preceding Yiddish culture
"kvetshing" (complaining, whining) has been elevated to a fine art. But this
is limited to people who share this culture or are familiar with it.

Seattle, USA

listserv at listserv.linguistlist.org or lowlands.list at gmail.com