LL-L "Language politics" 2011.05.23 (01) [EN]

Mon May 23 17:50:09 UTC 2011

L O W L A N D S - L - 23 May 2011 - Volume 01
Posting: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Paul Finlow-Bates wolf_thunder51 at yahoo.co.uk
Subject: LL-L "Language politics" 2011.05.22 (02) [EN]

I hadn't realised that there was less difference in Scots than in English,
though as you point out there are a lot more of us!

I guesss nowhere in Scotland has had quite the domnance of London and the
Southeast, but in reality Glasgow dominates Scotland, so an "official
language" might logically be Glaswegian English.  That would be interesting!

Then there's all the people in the Highlands and Islands for whom
traditionally Scots is as foreign as English, even if most only speak
English now.  As you say, wide open, and hopefully we won't have to wait too
long.

Paul

listserv at listserv.linguistlist.org or lowlands.list at gmail.com