LL-L "Etiquette" 2011.05.27 (01) [NL/DE]

Fri May 27 18:42:24 UTC 2011

L O W L A N D S - L - 27 May 2011 - Volume 01
Posting: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: list at marcusbuck.org
Subject: LL-L "Etiquette" 2011.05.26 (03) [EN]

From: Sandy Fleming fleemin at live.co.uk

 I wonder if anybody would like to offer opinions on this?

> http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-13545386
>
> If you agree with this, do you think Low Saxon speakers, Frisians, Dutch
> are
> more like Germans or British?

I think the article is overstating it a bit. The Germans have a word for
"small talk". It's "Smalltalk". And they also have native words like
"Plausch" or "Plauderei". In the North the Low Saxon loan "Klönschnack" is
used too. And of course Germans talk about the weather in the doctor's
waiting room too. Or do they mean with complete strangers? If that's what
they mean they are maybe right. That happens but is not too common for
Germans.

The bit about phrases like "could you do me a favour...?" seems to be right.
That's not too common for "small" favours like getting something in the
house. But for bigger favours like getting something from the store it's not
uncommon. Although it probably depends on personal style. I wouldn't
construct general statements about mentality from that.

The pilot quote is a nice example of understatement, but I don't think that
all British people would react like that ;-)

I cannot tell whether Low Saxons are more like British or Germans. The
overall mentality probably is more like Germans. Although there is of course
no real common German mentality. Northern Germans/Low Saxons are different
from Rhinelanders, from Upper Saxons and from Southern Germans. Personally
I'd consider these four the main "poles" of mentality in Germany (although
of course finer-grained mentality groupings are possible).

And the British probably have diverse sub-mentalities too.

Marcus Buck

----------

From: list at marcusbuck.org

As is so often the case "British" is used when they are probably really mean
English.
 But the "politeness" of the English is a bit of a false perception anyway.
As former footballer and TV commentator Gary Linecker said, "I love England,
but we have a Yob Culture that you don't find anywhere else".

That can be seen at all levels, regardless of wealth or status.

Paul
Derby
England.

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Etiquette

I quite agree with Marcus (above), certainly as far as generalization is
concerned. The findings as summarized in the article ignore regional and
socioeconomic differences, let alone ethnic roots.

Traditionally, differences were especially significant between urban and
rural communities. Since Low Saxon survives more in rural communities, it
would be difficult to tease apart differences between rural and Low Saxon
conventions. I feel that the differences are diminishing, mainly because of
the influences of the media and because of urban flight. I recall that in my
early years the differences were far more pronounced and that I found rural
North German especially taciturn and direct, irrespective of their language.
The same can be said of Hamburg's "old blood" (the "Hanseats"). But so many
people from other parts of Germany and from other countries settled there
that generalization seems impossible. Every time I visit Hamburg it seems to
me that it and its language has become "more German."

As Marcus says, small talk is known in Germany as well and is often used to
feel each other out in the course of making each other's acquaintance.
However, if someone asks you how you are, it is not considered a *faux
pas*if you reply that you are not well.

Personally, I feel that as far as directness is concerned, there are close
links between Scotland and Australia.

listserv at listserv.linguistlist.org or lowlands.list at gmail.com