LL-L "Semantics" 2011.11.17 (06) [EN-NDS]

Lowlands-L lowlands.list at GMAIL.COM
Fri Nov 18 07:47:56 UTC 2011

 L O W L A N D S - L - 17 November 2011 - Volume 06
Posting: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Ed Alexander edsells at cogeco.ca
Subject: LL-L "Semantics" 2011.11.17 (03) [EN-FY]

At 03:31 PM 17/11/2011, Ron wrote:

   1. American English uses "dear" only in the first-mentioned sense, with
   idiomatic exceptions (i.e., supposedly archaisms) such as "to pay a dear
   price" or "to pay dearly."

My wife and I do not agree.  First of all, I suspect that the common root
meaning is "rare".  Secondly, it is only to be expected in the creolization
of English, that items that were "costly" would have been more affordable
to the upper classes which of course use far more words of French
derivation (such as "expensive").  Of course, since "expensive" is far more
common, people who have learned English as a second language are far less
likely to know this meaning.  Also, I do not understand why you would say
that "pay dearly" is idomatic, as opposed to a situation where "expensive"
would be inappropriate.  I think that we have not yet replaced the word
"dear" with another in cases where the cost is not financial.  Of course,
the Anglo-Saxon speaking lower classes were more likely to have to "pay
dearly with their lives" in the time of war.

   1. Non-American English, at least many varieties of it, uses "dear" in
   both senses. Thus, for instance, in Australian English you may sayÂ
   something like "Computers are very expensive" and "Computers are very
   dear." The latter sounds strange to most American.

I'm an American and I don't find it strange, just infrequent.

Ed Alexander, Ontario