LL-L "Semantics" 2011.11.20 (01) [EN]

Lowlands-L lowlands.list at GMAIL.COM
Sun Nov 20 22:40:58 UTC 2011

 L O W L A N D S - L - 20 November 2011 - Volume 01
Posting: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Mark and Ruth Dreyer mrdreyer at lantic.net
 <marless at gmx.de>
 Subject: LL-L "Semantics" 2011.11.19 (01) [DE-EN-NDS]

Dear Marlou, Ron & All:

Subject: LL-L "Semantics"

Further to the pairs '"teuer" & "lieb", "dier" & "lief" (Afrikaans - I see
a drift here) "dear" & "love".

I have difficulty with the word 'dear'*=*'valuable' being originally
associated with 'deer'='animal'.
The Afrikaans for valuable is 'duur', & for animal is 'dier'. In this
context the concept 'dierbaar' is I think the only term in the Taal
associated with an item that is cherished but *not* a negotiable commodity.
It is closer to the English 'darling'. The Old English 'Deor' was not a
darling but a fugitive in hiding: Reference, the poem "Deor"

The Migratory Period Rune 'Feoh' with the 'F' value refers to 'livestock'
on the one hand & 'fee' on the other; Afrikaans has 'vee' for the first &
'foei' for the second. This is a sensible & inevitable association going
right back to the Indo-Germanic, right? Here is a traceable pair for
Afrikaans!

As for "Lob" & "Preis": English "praise" & "prize" (now this is getting
interesting) with which I associate with Afrikaans "lof" & "prys", my
Kritzinger, Steyn, Schoonees & Cronje (Afrikaanse Woordeboek. Vertalend,
Afrikaans : Engels) has this to offer. 'Lof' = praise, eulogy,
commendation, laudation. 'Prys' = price, value, cost, charge, award,
premium, prize, praise &c.

The first, 'lof', may be a tribute but it is not a commodity. The second,
'prys', may be, but is it a synonym altogether? Not inevitably.

We still offer Lof & Prys to God.

Hearty greetings all round!
Hartlike groete alom!

Yrs,