LL-L "Semantics" 2011.11.20 (02) [EN]

Lowlands-L lowlands.list at GMAIL.COM
Mon Nov 21 03:07:33 UTC 2011

 L O W L A N D S - L - 20 November 2011 - Volume 02
Posting: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Ed Alexander edsells at cogeco.ca
 <mrdreyer at lantic.net>
 Subject: LL-L "Semantics" 2011.11.20 (01) [EN]

At 05:40 PM 20/11/2011, Mark or Ruth wrote:

I have difficulty with the word 'dear'*=*'valuable' being originally
associated with 'deer'='animal'.

I submit that in fact they were not associated originally, and come from
separate IE roots.

>From the Online Etymological Dictionary:

*DEER*  O.E. deor "animal, beast," from P.Gmc. *deuzam, the general
Germanic word for "animal" (as opposed to man), but often restricted to
"wild animal" (cf. O.Fris. diar, Du. dier, O.N. dyr, O.H.G. tior, Ger. Tier
"animal," Goth. dius "wild animal," also cf.
reindeer<http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?term=reindeer&allowed_in_frame=0>),
from PIE *dheusom "creature that breathes," from *dheu- (1) "cloud, breath"
(cf. Lith. dusti "gasp," dvesti "gasp, perish;" O.C.S. dychati "breathe;"
cf. L. animal from anima "breath"), from base *dheu-. Sense specialization
to a specific animal began in O.E. (usual O.E. for what we now call a deer
was heorot; see
hart<http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?term=hart&allowed_in_frame=0>),
common by 15c., now complete. Probably via hunting, deer being the favorite
animal of the chase (cf. Skt. mrga- "wild animal," used especially for
"deer"). Deer-lick is first attested 1778, in an American context.

*DEAR *O.E. deore "precious, valuable, costly, loved, beloved," from P.Gmc.
*deurjaz (cf. O.S. diuri, O.N. dyrr, O.Fris. diore, M.Du. dure, Du. duur,
O.H.G. tiuri, Ger. teuer), ultimate origin unknown. Used interjectorily
since 1690s. As a polite introductory word to letters, it is attested from
mid-15c. As a noun, from late 14c., perhaps short for dear one, etc.

Ed Alexander, on Manitoulin Island, where the annual deer hunt starts on
Monday.