LL-L "Phonology" 2011.09.06 (02) [EN]

Lowlands-L lowlands.list at GMAIL.COM
Tue Sep 6 18:19:36 UTC 2011

L O W L A N D S - L - 06 September 2011 - Volume 02
Posting: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Mark and Ruth Dreyer mrdreyer at lantic.net
Subject: LL-L "Phonology" 2011.09.05 (03) [EN]

 Dear Ron & All:

Subject: LL-L "Phonology"

While it's still simple, Ron, I have a no doubt impertinent question. Am I
correct in seeing this as a bilabial voiced plosive drifting (regularly, in
grammatical context) to a bilabial voiced fricative?

One finds it in the Bantu languages & some indicate this sound with the
symbol '6'. The 'human class  plural 'b' in 'bantu' (people) for example is
one, & as you go north it drifts clear across to 'w' also, incidentally,
bilabial semivocalic, as in for example 'wabenzi' (possessor of a Mercedes
Benz - the Elite).

By my experience this sound is found in Hebrew too. The 'vaw' prefix
indicating 'and' as well as the Scriptural ('vayarad vayamar malakh etc...)
& here too, in the former case, there is drift to a well in this case
vocalic, hey, 'u' as with the 'makhbal' sounds for the root word;
'ubasof...' (and in the end) instead of 'vekashe li...' (and it is hard for
me).

In Afrikaans for 'I remain' we say 'Ek bly'. However for eg 'a lasting
benefit' we say ' 'n blywende voordeel'. Fossils in language...

As you wrote:
"The basic thing is that Old Saxon -ƀ- (a barred “b” that occurs
intervocalically, which Ingmar assumes to stand for [w] and I assume to
stand for [β]) developed in two ways in Modern Saxon (Low Saxon): [v] and
[b], depending upon the dialect. In Northern Germany it is particularly the
dialects of the Low Elbe region that have the [b] pronunciation, while most
other regions have the [v] pronunciation.
Yrs,
Mark