LL-L "Member's news" 2011.09.06 (03) [AF-EN]

Lowlands-L lowlands.list at GMAIL.COM
Tue Sep 6 22:09:35 UTC 2011

L O W L A N D S - L - 06 September 2011 - Volume 03
Posting: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: M.-L. Lessing marless at gmx.de
Subject: LL-L "Phonology" 2011.09.06 (02) [EN]

Dear Mark, I just saw the fires near Bastrop on TV here in the news. Looks
frightening. Have you packed your things for an emergency? Can you sleep at
night? I sincerely hope the fire spares you, and I send you all our german
rain too. We had a little much of it lately. No grilling weather here either
-- but our situation cannot be compared to yours!!

All the best!!

Marlou

 From: Brooks, Mark mark.brooks at twc.state.tx.us
Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2011.09.02 (02) [AF-EN-NDS-NL]

Coincidentally, the town in Texas that has the largest of the wildfires in
my area is Bastrop. Bastrop is about 30 – 50 km east of Austin. History
tells us it was settled by the Dutch. I don’t know if that’s true, but they
sure could use some water right now.

I live about 30 km north of Austin and about 30 km from a different fire at
Steiner Ranch. Our dry conditions are just as bad. In fact, Williamson
County (where I live) has banned welding, grilling or barbecuing, and
cigarette smoking. I don’t smoke or weld ;-), but being Texan I do barbecue
and grill. In Texas grilling is one of our constitutional rights (just
kidding). Fortunately, we did all that before the ban went into effect.

We’d be more than happy to take some of that rain from next door in
Louisiana and Mississippi.