LL-L "Phonology" 2011.09.09 (01) [DE-EN-NDS]

Lowlands-L lowlands.list at GMAIL.COM
Fri Sep 9 17:29:20 UTC 2011

L O W L A N D S - L - 09 September 2011 - Volume 01
Posting: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Mike Morgan mwmbombay at gmail.com
 Subject: LL-L "Phonology" 2011.09.07 (02) [EN]

And, of course, such liquid metathesis (actually pleonam is a more accurate
ter perhaps, since it may in fact NOT be simply an inversion of adjacent
sounds, which is what metathesis is)   -- C(v)L(v)C and C(v)R(v)C variations
--   is something very fmilar to any 1st year Slavic linguistics grad
student.

Not that it is unknown in other parts of the world, nor even in other groups
within IndoEuropean, but it seems "natural" to assume some interaction
within a NE European (NE Indo-Euorpean) sub-grouping with respect to this
process (whether we want to see  influence or not, or direction of influence
is anotehr question altogether ... though as an ex-Slavicist, my vote goes
with the Slavs ;-))

For example: English milk, Dutch melk, which may be heard also as melek, is
in Slavic variously:
mVlVko :  (Russian & Ukrianian) молоко /moloko/ Russian: [malako],
(Belarusan) малако /malako/,

mlVko  ::   (Polish) mleko,  (Czech) mléko, (Bulgarian) мляко /ml,ako/,
(ekavian Serbian & Macedonian) млеко (mleko), (Slovene) mleko,

mlVVko  :: (Slovak) mlieko,

mlVyVko  ::  (ijekavian Coratian) mlijeko

Picking just a few representatives among the possibilities, we have a
"continuum":

English   Dutch colloquial+Russian     Slovene
mVlk             mVlVk                          mlVk

what we don't see is mlk, with NO vowels....

... but if we chose a different example (wolf for example) we would see that
as well (e.g. Slovak vlk ... and also Bulgarain вълк /v at lk/ where the ъ /@/
schwa is arguably not a phoneme but added just to "facilitate
pronunciation". Also in Serbian вук /vuk/ we have NO LIQUID... but this may
rather be seen as the result of a process whereby the labial "flavouring" of
the в /v/ was acquired by the syllabic liquid... which then developed
further as a syllabic labial... then finally into a labial vowel ...

mwm

PS any instances of inverted letters in the above is due, NOT to metathesis,
but rather to my poor typing ;-)
mwm || *U* C > || mike || мика  || माईक || マイク || மாய்க் (aka Dr Michael W
Morgan)
Senior Consultant
BA in Applied Sign Language Studies (BAASLS)
इन्दिरा गांधी राष्ट्रीय मुक्त विश्वविद्यालय | Indira Gandhi National Open
University, New Delhi, India
*"If one has no affection for a person or a system, one should feel free to
give the fullest expression to his disaffection so long as he does not
contemplate, promote, or incite violence." (MKG)
"You assist an unjust administration most effectively by obeying its orders
and decrees. An evil administration never deserves such allegiance.
Allegiance to it means partaking of the evil.* *A good person will resist an
evil system with his whole soul. Disobedience of the laws of an evil state
is therefore a duty." (MKG)*