LL-L "History" 2012.04.05 (01) [EN]

Lowlands-L lowlands.list at GMAIL.COM
Thu Apr 5 07:56:25 UTC 2012

 L O W L A N D S - L - 05 April 2012 - Volume 01
Posting: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: "Steven Hanson" <ammurit at gmail.com>
Subject: LL-L "History" 2012.04.04 (02) [EN]

Aren’t there some who say that a full third of the vocabulary of the
Germanic languages lacks cognates with the broader Indo-European family,
even though there are cognates among all the Germanic languages?  If indeed
that is true, perhaps these place names might have come from the unknown
source of those seemingly mysterious Germanic, but not Indo-European,
words.

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: History

Dear Lowlanders,

What do you make of the newish hypothesis that there were speakers of
Germanic languages in England before or during Roman occupation?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwXOr47EJ1E

Personally, I am not convinced, but I consider it possible.

Best wishes,
Reinhard/Ron
Seattle, USA