LL-L "Botanica" 2012.08.10 (01) [DE-EN-NDS]

Lowlands-L lowlands.list at GMAIL.COM
Fri Aug 10 20:31:50 UTC 2012

 L O W L A N D S - L - 10 August 2012 - Volume 01
Posting: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Paul Finlow-Bates wolf_thunder51 at yahoo.co.uk
Subject: LL-L "History" 2012.08.09 (04) [EN]

Might be a similar thing to "turkey". Why is a North American bird named
after a country in the Middle East? When the bird first appeared in
England, it was strange, exotic, unknown. From somewhere mysterious.  That
means east. Turkey will do.
The berry, likewise, was from somewhere "far away over the Sea". Ships
coming from strange lands would often have come via the Cape Colony, and if
they were coming from western South America, that long way might well be
easier than running the gauntlet of The Horn.

Most people's idea of world geography was hazy at best. In my experience,
not much has changed, despite the fact that most Westerners have the world
at their fingertips, literally.

Paul