LL-L "Botanica" 2012.08.12 (01) [DE-EN-NDS]

Lowlands-L lowlands.list at GMAIL.COM
Sun Aug 12 20:07:39 UTC 2012

 L O W L A N D S - L - 12 August 2012 - Volume 01
Posting: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Mike Morgan mwmbombay at gmail.com
 Subject: LL-L "History" 2012.08.09 (04) [EN]

> Furthermore, at least in Siberia the plant is associated with Germans and
> it seems to be assumed that it had been introduced by them around one
> hundred years ago. What about this Lowlands angle?
>
> I assume that the plant reached Europe, or at least certain parts of
> Europe, from Latin America via Southern Africa and then (like the potato:
> German *Kartoffel* > Russian картофель *kartofel'*) came to be introduced
> to Eastern Europe, Siberia and Central Asia.

Spent the summer between my junior and senior year at Purdue
University as a lab assistant in the horticulture department so KNEW
they would have the answer:

" Origin and Distribution

Reportedly native to Peru and Chile, where the fruits are casually
eaten and occasionally sold in markets but the plant is still not an
important crop, it has been widely introduced into cultivation in
other tropical, subtropical and even temperate areas. It is said to
succeed wherever tomatoes can be grown. The plant was grown by early
settlers at the Cape of Good Hope before 1807. In South Africa it is
commercially cultivated and common as an escape and the jam and canned
whole fruits are staple commodities, often exported. It is cultivated
and naturalized on a small scale in Gabon and other parts of Central
Africa.

Cape Gooseberry
Fig. 115: The cape gooseberry is a useful small fruit crop for the
home garden; is labor-intensive in commercial plantings.

Soon after its adoption in the Cape of Good Hope it was carried to
Australia and there acquired its common English name. It was one of
the few fresh fruits of the early settlers in New South Wales. There
it has long been grown on a large scale and is abundantly naturalized,
as it is also in Queensland, Victoria, South Australia, Western
Australia and Northern Tasmania. It was welcomed in New Zealand where
it is said that "the housewife is sometimes embarrassed by the
quantity of berries [cape gooseberries] in the garden," and government
agencies actively promote increased culinary use.

In China, India and Malaya, the cape gooseberry is commonly grown but
on a lesser scale. In India, it is often interplanted with vegetables.
It is naturalized on the island of Luzon in the Philippines. Seeds
were taken to Hawaii before 1825 and the plant is naturalized on all
the islands at medium and somewhat higher elevations. It was at one
time extensively cultivated in Hawaii. By 1966, commercial culture had
nearly disappeared and processors had to buy the fruit from backyard
growers at high prices. It is widespread as an exotic weed in the
South Sea Islands but not seriously cultivated. The first seeds were
planted in Israel in 1933. The plants grew and bore very well in
cultivation and soon spread as escapes, but the fruit did not appeal
to consumers, either fresh or preserved, and promotional efforts
ceased.

In England, the cape gooseberry was first reported in 1774. Since that
time, it has been grown there in a small way in home gardens, and
after World War II was canned commercially to a limited extent.
Despite this background, early in 1952, the Stanford Nursery, of
Sussex, announced the "Cape Gooseberry, the wonderful new fruit,
especially developed in Britain by Richard I. Cahn." Concurrently,
jars of cape goosebery jam from England appeared in South Florida
markets and the product was found to be attractive and delicious. It
is surprising that this useful little fruit has received so little
attention in the United States in view of its having been reported on
with enthusiasm by the late Dr. David Fairchild in his well-loved
book, The World Was My Garden. He there tells of its fruiting
"enormously" in the garden of his home, "In The Woods", in Maryland,
and of the cook's putting up over a hundred jars of what he called
"Inca Conserve" which "met with universal favor." It is also
remarkable that it is so little known in the Caribbean islands, though
naturalized plants were growing profusely along roadsides in the Blue
Mountains of Jamaica before 1913.

With a view to encouraging cape gooseberry culture in Florida, the
Bahamas, and the West Indies, seeds have been repeatedly purchased
from the Stanford Nursery and distributed for trial. Good crops have
been obtained. Nevertheless there was no incentive to make further
plantings."

okay, not the WHOLE story... nothing about how it got to be a plant of
choice among German Mennonites in Siberia, but at least a bit of the
story... and more details at:

http://www.hort.purdue.edu/newcrop/morton/cape_gooseberry.html

mwm || *U* C > || mike || мика  || माईक || マイク || மாய்க் (aka Dr Michael W
Morgan)
sign language linguist / linguistic typologist
academic adviser to "Nepal Sign Language Training and Research Centre"
project
NDFN, Kathmandu, Nepal

---------

From: Hannelore Hinz <hannehinz at t-online.de> <hannehinz at t-online.de>
Subject: LL-L "Botanica" 2012.08.11 (02) [EN]

               LL-L "Botanica" 2012.08.10 (01) [DE-EN-NDS]

Hallo all' Lowlanners,

Ick mell mi nu noch eins tau Wuurd.
Kiekt nah bi:
From: R.F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com> <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Botanica

When we say *Fleder *(German *Flieder) *you can't always be sure if we mean
lilac or elder.
Ick mein nu *The berries of the elder (Sambucus).

*Un wedder heff ick mi utkundschafft bi Perfesser Voßlo. (Lit.:
Wossidlo/Teuchert)

*Holler * m. Holunder; nur im:  Heilsegen und zu magischen Zwecken:  *Holler
Holler Holler, Hier bring' ick min Feewer, dat koller, Dat hett mi plag't
Dag un Nacht, Du sast dat drägen bet an 'n jüngsten Dag *(Staak Krankh.
Gerhard Staak, Die magische Krankheitsbehandlung in der Gegenwart in
Mecklenburg. Diss. Kiel 1930).

Der Schatzgräber sagt: *ick heff 'n Holler un 'n Banner *
(Rostock/Gresenhorst).
FN.: Flurname. *Hollerbarg.

*Der herrschende Name ist *Fleeder (s. Fleeder)*
Hollerbusch m. Holunderstrauch, im Neckreim auf Johann: *Jejuckell jejuckel
in 'n Hollerbusch *(Wo. Wossidlo  BandV. 4, 1.)

*Fleeder, * -r- m. Flieder *1. *Holunder, sambucus nigra; aus seinen
Markröhren verfertigten sich die Kinder ihre *Ballerbüssen* und kleine
Wasserspritzen; das Holz alter Stämme wird zu mancherlei kleinen Geräten
verarbeitet, z.B. zu Fischernadeln un zum Wurstverschluß benutzt;
steht *Fleeder
*kurz für *Fleedertee: ach, Moder, dat 's to swacken Fleeder.
*Im Volksglauben erscheint die Benennung *witt Fleeder, *in welcher
*witt*kein unterscheidendes Merkmal ist, sondern schmückendes Beiwort:
*Soväl dei witt Fleeder vör Johanni bläuht, So väl ward dei Roggen vör
Jakobi meiht *allgem. ; ähnl. gegen Rose und Zahnschmerzen schneidet man
Holzstäbchen vom weißen *Fleeder, *nimmmt sie in die Hand und streicht
während der dreimaligen Besprechung je einmal damit über die kranke Stelle.
Der Name *Fleeder *ist ndl. (niederländisch) Herkunft und seit dem Anfang
des 13. Jahrh. in (STA) Kreis Stargard und dem Eldebogen als Siedlungswort
der Mark heimisch, ins Schwerinische ist er von dort nach und nach
eingedrungen und hat den im W (Westen) heimischen Namen *Alhorn *wie auch
den östlichen, *Elder*, zurückgedrängt.
FN..: *Fleederbarg, -breid', -kamp, -warder.*

*Fleederbeer * f. Holunderbeere
*Fleederbeerbusch * m. Holunderstrauch
*Fleederbeerkrüd' * f. eingedickter Holunderbeerensaft, schweißtreibend
nützlich. Beitr.                     1766; als Brotaufstrich
*Fleederbeerpaddick, * -rr- m. Holundermark
*Fleederbeertee , * m. Holunderblütentee, schweißtreibend: im
Volksreim *Fleedertee,
Fleedertee, Mudder, mi deit dei Buk so weh *allgem.; *'n Döschflägel is as
Sweitdriwer bäter as Fleedertee *(Schwerin/Pampow).

Un nu *syringa vulgaris*,  der bekannte Blütenstrauch, welcher im 16.
Jahrh. in zwei Spielformen, als blaublühender Strauch aus der Türkei und
mit weißen Blüten aus Spanien eingeführt wurde, bekam die vorherrschenden
Landschaftsnamen: in ober- und mitteldeutschen Gegenden *türkischer
*oder *blauer
*und *spanischer *oder *weißer Holunder, Holler, *in Norddeutschland aber
setzte sich *Fleeder *durch.
Fünfblättrige Blüten werden von der erwachsenden Jugend als Glücksorakel
gesucht*.
Mnd.  *vlieder *m.

* Nee, nich säuken, taufällig finn'n, so kenn ick dat.

Na ja, künn je sien, ick heff mit dissen langen Bidrag taufällig *eine
fünfblättrige Blüte *funn'n.

So sachten ward dat hier noch Sommer...

Hanne

listserv at listserv.linguistlist.org or lowlands.list at gmail.com