LL-L "History" 2012.08.14 (04) [EN]

Lowlands-L lowlands.list at GMAIL.COM
Wed Aug 15 03:46:27 UTC 2012

 L O W L A N D S - L - 14 August 2012 - Volume 04
Posting: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Kevin & Cheryl Caldwell kevin.caldwell1963 at verizon.net
 Subject: Sports and Culture

I  learned something interesting by way of the recent Olympic Games. One of
the top female swimmers in the world is from the Netherlands – her name is
Ranomi Kromowidjojo. That name didn’t sound particularly Dutch to me (to be
honest, her surname looks a little Slavic to me, but apparently that was a
red herring), so I did a little internet research and discovered that she
is of mixed Dutch-Javanese Surinamese origin, but born and raised entirely
in the Netherlands. There’s some interesting history there that I wasn’t
aware of before – Javanese workers were recruited in the late 19th century
to work on plantations in Suriname. A lot of their descendants moved to the
Netherlands in the 1970s.

Kevin Caldwell
Laurel, MD USA

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
 Subject: History

Hi, Kev,

Kromowidjojo (> Modern Spelling *Kromowijoyo* < earlier *Kråmåwidjåjå*) is
a "very Javanese" name.

Javanese used to be predominant in about three fourth of the Isle of Java's
eastern part and is still a vibrant language there. Sundanese covered most
of the western part of the island, with the exception of Batavia, today's
Jakarta. (These are parts of our world and humanity I hold in particularly
high esteem.) "Malay" varieties have been dominating the Batavia area,
today's Jakarta area, for quite some time, and --- simply speaking -- .this
is how the official language of Indonesia became *Bahasa Indonesia**
*("language
of Indonesia"), a subset of the Malay language.

More information:
Malay: http://lowlands-l.net/anniversary/malay-info.php
Baba Malay: http://lowlands-l.net/anniversary/baba-info.php
Malay (general): http://lowlands-l.net/anniversary/indonesian-info.php