LL-L "History" 2012.08.14 (05) [EN]

Lowlands-L lowlands.list at GMAIL.COM
Wed Aug 15 07:13:08 UTC 2012

 L O W L A N D S - L - 14 August 2012 - Volume 05
Posting: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Ingmar Roerdinkholder <roerd096 at PLANET.NL><kevin.caldwell1963 at verizon.net>
 Subject: LL-L "History" 2012.08.14 (04) [EN]

Yes, our colonial history brought a lot of exotic people to the
Netherlands. The Javanese Surinamese for instance, but many more came
directly from  the former Dutch East Indies, I think between 5 and 10 % of
the Dutch has an Indonesian our mixed Dutch-Indonesian background. There's
also a big group from the Moluccas here, who have already Melanesian
influences, and also Papuas from New Guinea, which was Dutch until 1964.
And a lot of Chinese from Indonesia as well. The Javanese Surinamese are
Muslims,  most of the others are Christians, although most inhabitants of
Indonesia are Muslims. The Javanese speak Javanese, Dutch or Sranan Tongo
(Surinamese creole), the "Indos" usually Dutch and some Malay, the
Moluccans have their own form of Malay. The Chinese speak Dutch.
An even bigger group of immigrants from Suriname in the Netherlands are the
so-called Hindostanen, recruited originally from former British India in
the same way as the Javanese.
But for the average Dutchman, a typical Surinamer is still a black Creole
descendant from African slaves, speaking Sranan Tongo. There are also the
so-call Bush Negroes who really live more or less as their African
ancestors, speaking their own English or Portuguese based creoles like
Ndjuka and Saramaccan. The Surinamese creoles are the most original and
interesting of the creole languages, their European origins are hardly
recognizable.

Btw as Ron wrote about the Javanese surname of Ramoni Kromowidjojo: it was
earlier Kråmåwidjåjå.
The darkening from long a into an o like sound must be kind of a universal
trend: we see it very strongly in Low Saxon, Persian (Farsi) and Javanese.
Also in Somalian I think, because I know many Somalian girls whose name
ends in -o where Arabic has -a:  Hibo, Halimo, Fadumo etc.

Ingmar

 From: Kevin & Cheryl Caldwell kevin.caldwell1963 at verizon.net

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: History

Thank you, dear Ingmar, for adding this important historical information
for everyone!

It is imperative that all of us Lowlanders understand and reconcile with
these phases of history. In my (longish) life all over the world  I've been
forced to deal with it on the basis of general North European (including
British, Dutch, Belgian, German and Danish) colonialism.

It is not a matter of which colonizing nation is more guilty than the next.
It's a matter of never doing it again. (Sorry! I'm now stepping down from
the pulpit.)

On the bright side, even these dire situations of colonial injustice have
spurned incredibly beautiful beginnings, culturally and linguistically ...
and ... and ...

I would *love* for us to talk more about that.

Seattle, USA

listserv at listserv.linguistlist.org or lowlands.list at gmail.com