LL-L "Etymology" 2012.08.15 (01) [EN]

Lowlands-L lowlands.list at GMAIL.COM
Wed Aug 15 07:30:07 UTC 2012

 L O W L A N D S - L - 15 August 2012 - Volume 05
Posting: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Dick van Faassen faasco at gmail.com
 Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2012.08.14 (03) [EN]

Hi Lowlanders,

Malayan words found their way to the Dutch Royal Navy.
Because of service in the former Dutch East Indies, the malayan
language was mostly the only way to talk with natives. Surabaya was
the most important naval base in Indonesia. Although the Javanese had
their own language, most of them were bilateral and spoke " Maleis" as
well.
When parts of the ship had been painted, someone wrote on the deck in
chalk: "Awas pakean - tjet baru". (Be aware of your clothes, fresh
painted.) Painting was :tjetten. Being payed was "katje halen" (gadjih
= salary) etc. etc.
When we were called into Naval service (1951), we had to learn basic
"Maleis" even if you never were send to the East, as Indonesia became
independant before (1949).

Best regards,

Dick.