LL-L "Idiomatica" 2012.02.05 (02) [EN-NL]

Lowlands-L lowlands.list at GMAIL.COM
Sun Feb 5 22:40:15 UTC 2012

 L O W L A N D S - L - 05 February 2012 - Volume 02
Posting: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Jacqueline Bungenberg de Jong Dutchmatters at comcast.net
 Subject: LL-L "Idiomatica" 2012.02.05 (01) [NL]

Re ga er maar eens aanstaan:

Hallo Joachim,

You are putting your finger on (another one of these idiomatic expressions)
a very interesting part of language. Especially – I think –  Lowland
languages are rife with (there is an English one)  that kind of usage. And
among the Lowland Languages the different kinds of Platt  and Dutch use
these kind of ‘woordschilderingen’ (word-paintings) a lot. It is a way of
being. I always ‘get a kick’ out of reading Hanne’s contribution to this
blog. Maybe we are frustrated painters, maybe we are just visual. So when I
read (or hear) ‘Ga er maar eens aanstaan’ I see in my ‘minds eye’ ( Yep,
another one) the guy who used to work the old fashioned ‘pierement’ (street
organ) which he made play by turning a big wheel by hand, a devilish
difficult thing to do, because you had to work with the music. It looked so
simple, but   ‘You try and do it’. And that is exactly what we mean by it.
It shows admiration and also that you are happy that you don’t have to do
it yourself. As a foreigner, you have to be a very keen listener and a
philosopher ‘to boot’ to make that kind of expressions your own. But it can
be done. And then of course there is the inflection, but that is a totally
different subject. As they would say in Dutch. “Dat is een ander jochie z’n
moeder”.

This – by the way – is one of the things that makes learning Dutch so
difficult for foreigners. Many of my students have asked me “ Why do you
teach me the grammar, if you don’t use it?” And I realize ‘they have a bone
to pick’.

Jacqueline BdJ