LL-L "Phonology" 2012.02.19 (01) [EN]

Lowlands-L lowlands.list at GMAIL.COM
Mon Feb 20 00:05:43 UTC 2012

 L O W L A N D S - L - 19 February 2012 - Volume 01
Posting: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Ingmar Roerdinkholder <roerd096 at PLANET.NL>
Subject: LL-L "Phonology" 2012.02.17 (02) [EN]

There are also a few striking phonological parallells between the Far
Eastern Low Saxon Plautdietsch and its Far Western Low Franconian antipodes,

E.g. in these sentence in the Parable of the Lost (prodigal) Son in the Low
Franconian dialect of Geldern:

"Eck well no hüüs gohn en frogen öm vergiffenis en bekänne min schüld en
min sönd tegen God en tegen öm"
"Öm niet van honger sterven te motten, vermiejde hen sich bei enen boer, öm
de värkes te hüjen."

"eck well" instead of LS "ick will"
"hüüs" instead of LS "huus"
"bekänne" instead of LS "bekenn'n/bekennen"
"honger" instead of LS "hunger"
"motten" instead of LS "mutten"

I don't know the exact Plautdietsch equivalents here, but I think e.g. E
for short I, ÜÜ for UU, final -E for -EN, O for short U,  Ä for short E,
are typical for Plautdietsch as well.

Btw Low Franconian of Germany is closer to Dutch than Low Saxon is, also
Low Saxon in the Netherlands is less related to Dutch than Low Franconian
at the Lower Rhine region in Germany.
Low Franconian dialects of Southern Gelderland and Limburg are especially
close to those of bordering Germany.

Btw 2: another striking thing is that even hundreds of kilometres more to
the West, in Zeeland, West-Flandria (Belgium) and French Flandres, the same
phonological features reappear: E for I, ÜÜ for UU, Ä for E.

Maybe that helps to give Plautdietsch this Dutchish sound I mentioned?

Ingmar

From: Ingmar Roerdinkholder <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: LL-L "Phonology" 2012.02.16 (05) [EN]

In the sound  of Plautdietsch I think to hear a Dutch accent, it sounds
"Dutcher" or more familiar somehow than the present day  Low Saxon dialects
of Germany.

Enjmaur